Wednesday 7 June 2017

Every Vote Counts

Tomorrow the UK goes to the polls.  Again.  It doesn't seem 5 minutes since we were voting on Brexit and look where that has got us.  Musical chairs in the main political parties and another General Election.

Some of the posts on social media have been brutal. I try to steer clear of nasty debates so don't worry I'm not going to start something here.  Except this.  If you have a vote, then use it.  Even if you think it won't make a difference.  Every vote counts.  

I'm hoping to get up early tomorrow and go with hubby to vote before heading off to get my hair done.  My son impressed me by organising a postal vote as he is away this week on a sales conference which was set up just before the election was called.

The country feels very divided.  And then there have been the recent terrorist attacks to deal with too.  The latest attacks have been very unsophisticated.  This makes it hard for the police and security services to be able to predict these events.  It's not difficult to hire a vehicle and use it to mow down innocent people and then go on a rampage with knives.  What is difficult is how to comprehend that a person can think these actions can ever be justified.

I'm sure we will see measures implemented to try and protect us - there are already blockades being put in place on our bridges.  It will be interesting to see if the works to local areas will be updated in light of this change of attack methods.   For example our station area is being redeveloped  and one of the things that was proposed was the removal of railings.  Maybe that won't happen now.  Part of me knows that we have to carry on as normal otherwise the terrorists win but I also know that it makes sense to take precautions when and where necessary.

On a happier note my grandson continues to do well. 

These pics were taken last Thursday.  Looking forward to seeing him on Friday.

9 comments:

  1. AWWWWW...he is just plum adorable...smiling.

    I'm not British, but I really don't like either/or candidates. I'll refrain from commenting on your terror attacks...its not my country, although I do have a thought or two on it...sigh...I really do feel for those who have lost their lives and for their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over how quiet it is today here in central London. Lots of people obviously working odd hours to get to polling booths. As a Commonwealtyh citizen, I am actually eleigible to vote, but didn't enrol as I don't feel I know enough about British politics to make an informed choice. In Australia, of course, voting is compulsory. There are fines for not voting. So plenty of peopel with little to no idea of who/what they're voting for mark their mark on ballot papers nonetheless. I'm looking forward to what the news explans to me ovefr te next couple of days.
    Nathan is looking healthier every week. What a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with getting sense from the news lol. I'm not sure how I feel about compulsory voting but I definitely think people shouldn't voice their opinions if they don't bother to turn out and vote. (Sorry that was definitely NOT aimed at you - I can understand why you wouldn't want to get caught up in it.)

      Delete
  3. Aw that baby is precious. I am so fed up with politics and the division it brings to the people!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandson is so cute and I am happy he is doing well!! Love the photos! It will be interesting to see which party wins in your election. Prayers lifted for all victims and families of victims from terrorist acts everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meanwhile we had also an attack at the central station, fortunately the guy could be killed in time. The worst is you never know with what method they will come up next ! The Brexit will last such a long time and does so much harm to the UK that probably it will never really happen. All those old guys who are for the Brexit and still in the commonwealth spirit will be dead in between or have to retire. Your grandson looks great ! He caught up from his difficult beginning !

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.