Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 5/8/26




Joyce provides the questions and we share our answers here.   Why not join in the fun?

1. What's something on your August calendar you're looking forward to? Or dreading if that's easier to answer. 

Our annual family get together at the end of the month.  Definitely something to look forward to but I do dread organising the shopping lists!

2. August 5th is National Oyster Day...do you partake? How do you feel about pearls? 

I do not partake of oysters.   Never have.  I'm not sure about a pearl necklace - something I associate with an older generation, even though I'm probably that generation now lol.  I do like pearl earrings though.

3. Tell us about a time when you felt like 'the world was your oyster'. 

Probably since we've both been retired, although we're not exactly world travellers.  Prior to that there was always some sort of commitment, e.g. work, kids, elderly parents etc that meant we couldn't be totally carefree.

4. Trip Advisor lists seven islands in the US that require no passport (for US citizens). If you're answering today from outside the US you'll still need to produce yours. An-y-way, have you been to any of the seven? Let's pretend you get an all expense paid trip to one this month...which one do you choose and why? 

Catalina Island California~Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts~Mackinac Island Michigan~Key West Florida~South Padre Island Texas~or Kauai Hawaii

I have no idea which of these I'd prefer.  I've never been to any of them.

5. Sylvia Plath is credited with the following- 

"August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time."

Agree or disagree? In other words, how do you feel about this month? 

I think I disagree.  August still feels very much like summer, especially here in the UK where the kids do not go back to school until September.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

The temperature has been a comfortable 24-25 C today.  So much nicer than the high temps we've had.  No sign of any rain though. We're now subject to a hose pipe ban.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you with cooler temps! We still have a couple more months of hot and humid, but Fall is coming!! I enjoyed your answers, Wendy! Wishing you blessings ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s how it should be—school starting in September like it used to. I can’t imagine having kids now, heading off to school in over 100-degree heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. September school starts is as it should be. I know that in Arizona school starts in July. Crazy.
    I'm glad your temperatures have cooled down a bit. I hope you get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The family get together sounds like a lot of fun, apart from the shopping lists.
    For question 4 I said Hawaii as it was the only one I had really heard of. lol
    We have grey skies here and it looks like rain, I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.