Thursday, 8 October 2026

Read then Write - 8/10/26

Well this has been a much better week for reading - I managed to finish Before the Storm by Alex Gray which I enjoyed.  

I've read quite a few in this series and they don't disappoint. This one is set in the run up to Christmas in Glasgow with DSI Lorimer dealing with a suspected terrorism threat, under cover officers having their covers blown and then a couple of murders. He's his usual calm and measured self, taking advantage of the skills of Daniel Kohi, a former Zimbabwean police officer, who finds himself a refugee in Glasgow following personal tragedy. It was wrapped up perhaps a little too neatly but this was an easy read following a couple of heavy book group reads. I gave it 4 stars.

My next read was Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent.  This was the book for my evening book group this month but it also ticks a prompt on the 52 Book Club challenge so that was a bonus.

For the most part I felt it was a good book. With echoes of "The Room" it does contain child abduction, abuse etc that wouldn't be to everyone's taste but it started off really well following Sally after her attempt to put her dead Father "out with the bins" and the upheaval that causes in her previously sheltered life. (Not a spoiler - it's in the blurb on the cover!)

Then we're given a very alternative viewpoint and initially I was still enjoying the book. However, for me it felt like the author had run out of steam and original ideas and then everything was wrapped up quite quickly and not how I envisaged it would end.  I still rated it 4 stars though as it was a good page turner for me.

And then finally I managed to read one of my own choices for a 52 Book Club prompt - Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.

As is often the case, despite this being an award winning book, I wasn't that impressed.  About half way through this book I realised I'd watched the film version which is why the book was sounding familiar. But I really did not like the main character Eilis. There were times I wanted to shout at her or give her a good shake. So young and naive and so contrary. I did like Toibin's style of writing but I didn't enjoy the content. Only 2 stars from me.


I have another book club read to get through, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy but before I start that I'm squeezing in another book that ticks a prompt - Has Anyone Seen Charlotte Salter by Nicci French. I've read quite a few of theirs (it's a Husband and Wife partnership) including all of the Frieda Klein series and enjoyed them so
I'm sure this one won't disappoint.  At least I hope not lol.

I'm rushing this post so no pictures as it's getting late and I want to do more reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.