Friday 19 July 2024

Friday's Fave Five - 19/7/24


Well I'm trying to get back into the habit of blogging - I've been reading a lot more posts this past week and leaving a few comments here and there - I'd forgotten how time consuming it can be lol.

But this meme hosted by Susanne here is a good weekly reminder to take a breath and look for the good things from the previous week.

1)  A visit from my elder son and his wife last weekend.  He had managed to secure tickets for the Mens' tennis FINAL at Wimbledon!

Getting tickets for Wimbledon is a complete lottery - tennis clubs etc have one system for securing tickets.  Then you can go and queue for daily entry - which involves queuing for hours (even overnight) or you can enter a ballot for tickets.  If your name is selected you can then opt to purchase tickets (or not).  As I understand it you will be given an option of a day and court and my son was fortunate enough to get the Mens' final slot.  I have no idea how much the tickets actually cost - and they were seated in the back row but the two of them had a lovely day out.  

and of course it was lovely to see them albeit briefly.

2)  Tuesday we had granddaughter Ella here for a bit.  Lovely having a little one in the house again now that Vinny has gone.

3)  Kitchen sink fixed - we had a blocked sink recently and in trying to plunge it we ended up with leaking joints.  

4)  2 for the price of 1 this week - I was booked in for a shingles vaccination on Tuesday but I was also offered a pneumonia jab as I'm now old enough.  (No need to remind me of my age thank you lol)  Anyway I opted to get both.  I'm thankful they're done but my arms (particularly the one the shingles jab was done in) have been very sore.  I'm thankful that we have the chance to get these protections free but not looking forward to having the second dose of the shingles one in a couple of months time.

5)  Getting back into a normal rhythm now we have the house to ourselves although that has meant earlier starts as my body clock seems to have adjusted during the time that Michael and Vinny were here.  I've also managed to get back into the habit of reading and finished 2 books this week.

And the sun is shining!

Have a good weekend all.

23 comments:

  1. I'm thinking i'm going to get the shingles one this year at my next physical this autumn as well since I've had a slight case of it on the side of my body when i was in my 40s!!

    Yay for wimbledon. My brother in law scored tickets years ago when he and my husband's sister were first married and they were living in london for a bit.

    How fun to have your granddaughter for a visit.

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had shingles or, to my knowledge chicken pox, but my husband had it some years ago across the side of his face so I know how painful it can be.

      Delete
  2. I have a shingles jab on the list to get done as well. I got shingles 2 years ago on my face and around my eye. I NEVER want to go through that again!

    How exciting to go to Wimbleton! I heard that tickets were obtained on a lottery system. How lucky for your family. I saw that Kate Middleton was there to present a trophy, She looked good but oh so thin!

    What a treasure having a grand daughter to visit! I need to arrange for my Abigail to visit me soon.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband had the same shingles experience as you so I definitely want to avoid it. Yes Kate definitely looked very thin. Hopefully her treatment will be successful and she will gradually regain her health.

      Delete
  3. I had a former professor attend Wimbledon and he has been posting photos. Wishing you a beautiful weekend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually watch a lot of it on TV but this year we were so busy I hardly saw any matches although I did watch a bit of the mens' final.

      Delete
  4. Yay, Wimbledon... I love the photo of them. :-)
    I know what you mean, blogging is fun... but yes, you have to slot the proper time for it.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least I have more free time now we're back to an empty house.

      Delete
  5. Great photo of your kids at Wimbledon. I always enjoy your photos! I got my shingles shots a few months ago. It's almost time for flue and COVID again... end of August or first of September for me. I am glad you are blogging again. Yes, it is time consuming... a commitment for sure. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be old enough to get a Covid jab this year - didn't get one last year but yes flu is an annual one for us too.

      Delete
  6. You did the A to Z Challenge this year, right? Because this post showed up on my Blogger feed which means I must have followed you. I started getting active in Blogger again this year and so far really glad I did. How nice to have a visit from family and lucky for them getting tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did do the A-Z but life events meant I haven't done much regular blogging since. I need to get back into it again.

      Delete
  7. I always enter the Wimbledon ballot but didn't have any luck this year. Good to see your name popping up on my blog feed. You will just finish your shingles jab in time for the covid and flu vaccinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I'm old enough for the Covid one this year.

      Delete
  8. I had no idea it was so complicated to get into Wimbledon. How neat that you son and d-i-l did! My arm hurt, too, after the shingles vaccination. I had heard that the second one was worse, but that wasn't the case for me. I would like to get up a little earlier but I also like to stay up late--I hate the thought of going to bed earlier. But I think my schedule might work better if I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope the second jab isn't worse - my arm has been very painful and I still have a red area now although I'm not sure if that's from the shingles jab or possibly an insect bite of some sort. I am definitely more of a night owl than a lark so yes I've had to go to bed a bit earlier thanks to the earlier starts.

      Delete
  9. What a sweet photo of your son and dil. And wow! That was a great win for your son.
    I know you miss your son and family (especially the grands), but you can cross the pond and visit them. (Do you have any plans yet?)
    The shingles vax is painful, but shingles is worse. Glad you got the shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely missing the family and hoping to visit around Thanskgiving time.

      Delete
  10. It must feel good to have your son and his family settled in. Now, you can think about a visit:)
    I found the shingles vaccine to be painful, too, the only one that I've had trouble with. But, well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting to get the tickets for the men's final at Wimbeldon! I've been thinking of the shingles shots too but they are so expensive here if one does not have extra benefits as our provincial health care does not cover them. Good for you for finishing 2 books in a week! They must have been good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine that it was difficult to get a ticket for the Wimbledon tennis ! Your son was lucky ! Did he see the Princess ? She is really brave, she must feeI rather weak. I am not interested in any sport and Rick was only in the Formula 1 ! I could also get the shots for shingles or pneumonia, but I don't like shots and I never had one unless I was forced. I saw a colleague who had been vaccinated against shingles and then promptly got it! Really bad. I've only had 4 Covid shots, and I assume I'll only get a cold now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had the shingles vaccine and was really sore too. It lasted a few days, but I guess is a lot less painful than getting Shingles. Hope you're adjusting to a quieter house. It definitely takes some getting used to. Mine have hopped the pond your direction and are vacationing in Scotland this week since my son-in-law doesn't start his job for another week.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.