Sunday 11 August 2024

Book Review - The Exchange - John Grisham

The Exchange: After The FirmThe Exchange: After The Firm by John Grisham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere after they exposed the crimes of Memphis law firm Bendini, Lambert & Locke and fled the country?

The answer is in The Exchange, the sequel to The Firm, the blockbuster thriller that launched John Grisham's career.

It is now fifteen years later, and Mitch and Abby are living in Manhattan, where Mitch is a partner at the largest law firm in the world. When a mentor in Rome asks him for a favor that will take him far from home, Mitch finds himself at the center of a sinister plot that has worldwide implications—and once again endangers his colleagues, friends, and family. Mitch has become a master at staying one step ahead of his adversaries, but this time there’s nowhere to hide.

I usually enjoy Grisham's books and I particularly enjoyed "The Firm" so I was bound to enjoy this sequel wasn't I? Well I did enjoy the fast pace of the book, the complexities. It's definitely a thriller. But....it could have been written with any main characters. The linking back to events in "The Firm" were superfluous in my opinion and I was waiting for a big twist tying the two stories together which never happened.

You also need to accept that some of the events in the book defy reality and be prepared for some graphic descriptions of executions. Having said that I gave it 3 stars as I stayed up late into the night to finish it.

View all my reviews


1 comment:

  1. I have actually read this book, Wendy, and I agree with you 100%. I was so disappointed in it. I love The Firm (book and movie). Nice to know I'm not alone in my disappointment!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.