Wednesday 14 August 2024

Book Review - Sing you Home - Jodie Picoult

Sing You HomeSing You Home by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Apologies for a bit of a spoiler here.

This book is about Zoe and her quest to become a mother. Due to her own infertility issues and those of her husband, Max, they have struggled to have a child. Following successful IVF treatment they are finally looking forward to having a child when disaster strikes at 28 weeks and the baby is stillborn.

Max's response is to request a divorce.

After the divorce Zoe falls in love again, with Ness, a woman. They get married and plan to use 3 frozen embryos from Zoe's final IVF cycle to try for a baby. In the meantime Max has become a born again Christian and, greatly influenced by his Church, decides to contest this, planning to give the embryos to his brother and sister-in-law who have also had fertility problems.

A law suit follows.

I love how Picoult's books address a difficult issue and try to portray both sides of the debate. They usually seem well researched and have depth. Even a few twists along the way. This book has all of that and whilst I would feel confident on talking on one side of this debate (same sex marriage and children) I certainly don't have enough experience of the other side portrayed in the book (devout Christians) to say whether Picoult's portrayal of them is accurate. Because of that, and the time frame of some events I couldn't give it 5 stars.

The book was written in 2011. Hopefully the situation is better for same sex couples now but I fear it is not.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.