Wednesday 6 September 2023

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 6/9/23


It's been a while since I participated in the Hodgepodge hosted by Joyce here, but apparently today is National Read a Book Day and as an avid reader it seemed appropriate to join in.

1. It's National Read A Book Day...whatcha' reading? What's a book you want to read? 

I'm currently reading Murder in the Family by Cara Hunter.  I picked this up in the supermarket having read some of her other books.  This one is presented in a very different format though - the story is of a fictional cold case murder being revisited by a TV true life crime programme.  The layout in the book follows the series with details of each episode as they are screened plus e-mail exchanges, chat room messages etc so very up to date with IT/Social media.  If I'd glanced at the interior of the book I probably wouldn't have bought it but actually I'm quite enjoying it.

I have so many books I want to read:

Books on the BBC list I'm working through very slowly.  Details here.
Books I have out on loan from the library (currently 2 unread plus 2 more reserved)
Books on my TBR pile in my bedroom
Books on my TBR shelf in the garden room
Books I've not read on my Kindle app

I probably won't live long enough to read them all lol

2. Which is better...having high expectations or low expectations? Explain why. 

Oh I think I'm going with low expectations here then anything above a target for example is a bonus!  Although I do often have high expectations of myself.

3. Serenity is:  Being at peace with myself

4. What's  the most interesting thing in your purse or pocket right now? 

Well there is nothing in my pockets.

My purse (wallet to my US friends) contains my National Trust membership card which give me admission to lots of interesting places although it hasn't had much use recently.

My handbag (purse)  contains nothing of interest but a particularly daft item for this week where we have sweltering heat - an umbrella.  I suppose it could serve as a sunshade but of course English weather always requires an umbrella to be at hand.

5. What helps you calm down?   A cup of tea.  Peace and quiet or going for a walk listening to music.

6. Insert your own random thought here.   It really is hot here in London this week - good excuse for not doing too many chores and catching up with blogging.


21 comments:

  1. I'm with you...I don't think I'll live long enough to read all the books on my Kindle either. lol Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisconsin weather is crazy too.. I carry a stocking cap and gloves in my handbag all seasons. In fact we are just getting over three days of 100 degree weather and on Thursday night we will have a frost watch for some parts of Wisconsin. You will hear people say... Wisconsin weather is the craziest. ;-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness that change in temps does sound crazy.

      Delete
  3. I agree, it's very unlikely I'll live long enough to read all the books I want to. And my answer to the expectations question is similar to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, We enjoyed a National Trust membership in past travels to the UK. We didn't try to get one this time around. I know I won't live long enough to read all the books I'd like to. Happy September to you and it's nice to see you pop up again on the Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read and so I imagine I'm like you . . .I may never read all of the books I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy watching true crime documentaries. and now with DNA being able to solve old crimes, totally fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's amazing the advances that have been made

      Delete
  7. Like you, I'm sure I won't live long enough to read everything on my list! I do love it when a book defies expectations and I wind up greatly enjoying something I didn't think I would like. The last book that did it for me was Remarkably Bright Creatures. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have "devoured" so many books in my life, that now I read interesting blogs. Not cooking recipes, but people who lived in the jungle or in development countries etc. Did you know that in Tanzania they kill albino children ? and there is an organization to safe them. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hard to imagine. But wouldn't surprise me.

      Delete
  9. Right now I am reading "An Innocent Man" by John Grisham, a true story about a former baseball player who was unjustly found guilty of a murder, spent many years in prison on death row, and then was finally found innocent and released. I have so many books on my shelves to read. Some I want to re-read but then I look at the new ones and don't. I never use umbrellas, even in the rain. I've always found them too cumbersome and mostly useless but then again, I live in California.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck reading those books. I think low expectations is a good way to go. Like your answer for #5. I think the heat has been everywhere lately. Try to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing very little and keeping the fans on lol

      Delete
  11. Haha! I hav e so many books on my kindle, I will never get through them.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.