Monday 8 March 2021

Book Review - The Other Passenger - Louise Candlish

The Other Passenger

The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On the morning of 27th December, Jamie Buckby takes the commuter riverboat from his home in St Mary’s, southeast London, to work in Central London, noting that his good friend and neighbour Kit Roper has not turned up for the 7.30am service they usually catch together.
 
At the London Eye, where he disembarks for his job in a café behind the South Bank Centre, Jamie is met by the police. Kit has been reported missing by his wife.
 
As Jamie is taken in for questioning, he discovers someone saw him arguing with Kit on the boat home late on Friday night. The other passenger believes Jamie committed murder.
 
But what really happened? 

This started off slowly for me. The story is told from the POV of Jamie, a 40 something man, who works in a cafe, travelling to work on the London Riverboat service. His partner Clare works in property and they live rent free in a large house that belongs to Clare's parents. They form an unlikely friendship with a younger couple, Melia and Kit (Christopher).

The book starts with Kit disappearing at the end of 2019 and Jamie recounting the previous year and their developing friendship. It's a bit dull in places, particularly at the start, and the characters are not very likeable but then comes a twist. And another. Things were not as I expected and I was hooked. I needed to see what was going to happen. I read late into the night!

View all my reviews

 

5 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your book reviews, Wendy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. This sounds like a good one I would enjoy. Will be looking for it at the library or used book shop. Have a good week, Wendy! See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to learn about some new books! Thanks for sharing, I love when a book that starts slow but turns it around, and I love a book that keeps me reading into the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reviews are always well done Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s .. our library opened up this week. I will see if I can get this book from the library. Thank you again Wendy for the reviews, I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.