Saturday 11 June 2022

Book Review - One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson

One Good TurnOne Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It is summer, it is the Edinburgh Festival. People queuing for a lunchtime show witness a road-rage incident - a near-homicidal attack which changes the lives of everyone involved. Jackson Brodie, ex-army, ex-police, ex-private detective, is also an innocent bystander - until he becomes a murder suspect.

As the body count mounts, each member of the teeming Dickensian cast's story contains a kernel of the next, like a set of nesting Russian dolls. They are all looking for love or money or redemption or escape: but what each actually discovers is their own true self.

I really enjoyed this book. It took a while to get into and at first I found the multiple characters a bit hard to keep track of but gradually I became hooked.

It starts with a road rage incident and then follows the various people involved or affected by this. As the story unfolds connections begin to be made between what appeared initially to be random strangers. And then the body count starts mounting.

I think one of the things that I really liked was the depth given to some of the characters and the amount of imagination shown by the author, particularly when filling in the characters' back stories. Nice twist at the end too.

View all my reviews


1 comment:

  1. That sounds a good read. I have read another Kate Atkinson book but for the life of me I can't remember the title. I'll haveto go and look that up now.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.