Friday 5 July 2019

Birthday celebrations - Part 1

Well I've had a good time celebrating my birthday.

On the actual day (last Wednesday) I had a visit from my best friend and then in the evening hubby and I went for a lovely meal at Galvin's La Chapelle which is a French Michelin starred restaurant. We opted for the 7 course tasting menu which was quite adventurous for me.



Course 1 - Lasagne of Dorset crab, beurre Nantais & pea shoots - Delicious!


Course 2 - Pressed terrine of rabbit, ham hock & foie gras, apricot & pickled mushrooms - Tasty! 


Course 3 - Risotto of courgette & basil - melt in the mouth 



Course 4 - Grilled Cornish John Dory, celeriac & wasabi, apple consomme, razor clam & hazelnut

This was my least favourite course, the fish was a bit plain & boring.


Course 5 - Tagine of Bresse pigeon, couscous, confit lemon & harissa sauce

This was a first for me (pigeon) but I enjoyed it. Not my favourite thing but it was very tasty.



Course 6 - Saint-Marcellin, walnut & raisin croute & pickled walnut
Soft cheese is not my favourite but the extras made it special.




Course 7 - Apple tarte Tatin & Normandy Creme Fraiche



With an added extra just for me!

The dessert was lovely but I needed more chocolate!



The lighting didn't make for a good photo of the two of us but you can see that we also enjoyed some wine although we didn't opt for the wine pairing menu - I needed to be able to make it home on public transport.

It was a delicious meal and because the courses weren't huge I managed to get through most of it without feeling uncomfortably full. I was also pleased to have pushed myself out of my comfort zone and tried different things.

I think my favourite course was the first one, followed closely by the risotto.

I'm also impressed with myself for getting a photo of every course!

I'll leave the rest of the celebrations for another post!



3 comments:

  1. Great food photos but a few of them would not have appealed to me. Nice to break out of your usual, though! It really does look special and I love the photo of you and your hubby!! Glad you had such a nice birthday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri. Some were out of my usual comfort zone but I wanted to try different things and most of it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meal looks wonderful! Happy belated birthday to you, but I think you know I believe in stretching out the celebrating : )

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.