Friday 19 February 2021

Friday's Fave Five - 19/2/21

 

Well I'm here this week.  I missed last week.  I was feeling quite fed up and demotivated.  This 3rd lockdown we're in is definitely taking its toll and of course not just on me.  I think we're all wishing it would end but knowing that we need to be careful how we come out of it so that we don't end up facing another lockdown later on.

I found myself not having much to say so not posting and not even really doing much commenting either, although I did read a lot of blogs.  But thankfully Susanne over at Living to Tell the Story  reminds us each week to stop and think about the good things in our lives and so here we go:

1)  Today I'm thankful that I'm alive and well as are my immediate and extended family.  I heard this week of a blogging friend's loss of her husband.  He had been admitted to hospital with Covid but initially seemed to be doing ok.  Then on Wednesday she posted that he had passed away on Tuesday which was a shock to me so I can only imagine how she feels.  It certainly put things in perspective.

2)  The snow has gone!  The snow last week made getting out for walks difficult and it was really cold.  Yes I know it's winter and we should expect cold weather but this was worse that we usually get - our local lake froze over!



3) Our car made it through its annual service ok.  We needed a new bulb in one of the headlights but apart from that all was ok.  I'm also thankful that although I'm the main driver of the car, Hubby takes it down to the garage and cycles home and then does the reverse when the car is ready to collect.  The bus that stops near our house goes past the garage but who wants to travel on public transport right now?

4)  2 Zoom calls this week, one with my cousins and the other with hubby's siblings.  It's good to catch up and, especially with my cousins, there is laughter:

We discovered how to add things to our pictures and, eventually, how to remove them!

5)  We spent our usual 2 days at our daughter's this week and on Thursday I managed to get some 1:1 time with Nathan including cuddles.  Usually he is totally besotted with his Grandpa and I'm either helping with baby Ella or doing chores so it was nice to be able to sit and be silly with Nathan for a bit.

So apart from the sad news above this was a better week for me, although my decision to give up chocolate for lent didn't go well.  Looking after the grandkids is tiring work and sometimes you just need something sweet!  I'd munched through a small packet of chocolate buttons before it even occurred to me that I shouldn't!  Oh well.  Maybe cutting down is a more realistic target for me.

Have a good weekend all.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy. So glad you are back. Looks like you had a fun Zoom call with your cousins. Also glad you got to spend time with your grands. It's always a relief when routine service for the car goes well. Health and life itself always something to be grateful. We lost the bishop (pastor) of our congregation who passed suddenly this week, so that was really brought home to us how precious and fragile life is. Have a good weekend and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you could have some fun with your grandson! That's so special!!

    So sorry for your friends loss.

    I still do not know anyone personally who has had covid other than the son of my walking partner and he is only27 and recovered very well.

    I don't believe in giving things up for Lent. ( I'm not Catholic) but i do like to focus on different spiritual disciplines in the weeks leading up to Easter. This year my goal is to be in the Scriptires a little more during the day rather than just my quiet time before work. To really practice the presence of God.

    I hope,you have a wonderful weekend and hope,your country can lift the lockdown!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith. Our PM gave an outline yesterday of how things will gradually be eased here. Light at the end of the tunnel.

      Delete
  3. Oh Wendy, that is so sad about the husband of your friend. I'm sorry to hear this.
    Hurray for the sunshine on the lake, even if it is iced over. At least you have the happy sun.
    Good new on the car's annual check up (and thanks for the reminder for us to have our car checked!)
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that I could copie and paste each week, nothing happens, I mean except our meetings, there is nothing to do ! If only the cafes would open so that you could have a drink sitting outside, but no, everything is closed ! The vaccins doesn't work it's a mess, they didn't order enough or it's a political fight, I just could strangle them all these stupid politicians ! Always between the Flemish and the Walloons ! Apparently we have also two Coronavirus, a Flemish and a Walloon one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we've had our own virus here too - the Kent variant. But yesterday our PM spoke about how they intend to gradually ease restrictions!

      Delete
  5. It seems my moods come in waves with this whole Covid thing. Last week, I was energized by all the time at home and I accomplished a lot. This morning, I am just so sluggish and sick of it all. The sun is shining - for now - so perhaps I need to get out for a walk. Cuddles with grandkids always lift my spirits. It will be nice when we can do more of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely miss being able to see all our kids.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the loss you experienced this week. I can totally relate to being unmotivated. I am very much feeling that in most areas of my life right now. I was lamenting the fact that Covid has really removed most of the spontaneity from life, well ours anyway. Everything seems to take so much planning, including things that should be simple like visiting your own parents. It's very frustrating to me. Nice that you were able to get outside even if it was cold. I find that does improve my mood somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this thing seems to be going on forever but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel.

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry for your friend's loss. I can't imagine. We're all getting so tired of COVID. The numbers are coming down--hopefully the trend will continue. Glad you got some one on one time with your grandson and some time outside and your car got through its annual service.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.