Monday 22 February 2021

Book Review - The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

The Miniaturist

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives at a grand house in Amsterdam to begin her new life as the wife of wealthy merchant Johannes Brandt. Though curiously distant, he presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift; a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations ring eerily true.

As Nella uncovers the secrets of her new household, she realises the escalating dangers they face. The miniaturist seems to hold their fate in her hands - but does she plan to save or destroy them?

I'm on the fence with this book. It took me a while to get into it. In fact I wasn't sure early on that I wanted to continue with it but I persevered. Thankfully it got better and gradually drew me in. It's quite an intense book and the author clearly had researched the time period well. Was it believeable? Yes and no. Some parts of the story refer to the supernatural and everyone will have their own view as to whether these could be fact or fiction and therefore credible. With regard to the actions of the characters and their reactions to events, I found some of this was a real stretch of the imagination. A lot was expected of an innocent 18 year old bride, plucked from her upbringing in a family living in the countryside to marry a wealthy trader, living in the city of Amsterdam. 

Overall this is not an easy book to read but I do feel satisfied that I've finally read it as it's been languishing on my TBR pile for some time.

View all my reviews


4 comments:

  1. I read this book a long time ago and I can't remember how it ends or how much I enjoyed it. I think I've reached a point where I can reread books as I have forgotten the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PBS did a TV series on this book. I passed on the series and I will probably pass on the book, because of your review. That is why I like your reviews Wendy. :-) It helps me narrow down my reading list.
    Thank you!! Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla. I skipped the TV series when it was out here as I always prefer to read the book first. Not sure if I'll bother with the series now.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.