Wednesday 17 February 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 17/2/21


I'm taking part in the Wednesday Hodgepodge, kindly hosted by Joyce at From this side of the Pond

Joyce provides the questions each week and we share our answers.  Pop over to her site to see who else is joining in the fun. 

1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live? 

I didn't grow up "celebrating" Lent but over the years I have observed it quite a lot.  We don't always make a thing of pancake day, but we did have pancakes at my daughter's house on Tuesday.  I usually try to be good and give something up during Lent but I'm not that great at sticking to it.  I used to attend church regularly but not so much the last few years and at the moment churches can open for communal worship but there are strict guidelines to be followed about social distancing/Covid safety and many are still streaming their services.

2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire? 
 
I can't remember when I last sat by a real fire.  Probably when we spent Christmas in France - my SIL has an open fireplace but that was quite a few years ago now.  We used to have a camp fire when we went on our family camp but it's been about 6 years since we did that.  We do have a fireplace in our house but it has an artificial fire in it.  
 
Marshmallows over the camp fire were a favourite.

3. Something that's currently got you fired up? 
 
The continuation of our national lockdown and the way our Government has handled certain aspects of this pandemic but the lockdown has also got me damped down.  It truly feels like groundhog day here.

4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski? 
 
I don't love cabbage but I don't hate it.  I wouldn't generally choose it as part of a meal but if it's on my plate I will eat it.  Coleslaw is the best use for cabbage in my book.

5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00? 
 
I do hang on to pennies and then eventually I get them changed up - usually at a supermarket and then I use them towards the shopping.  Of course I haven't done that for at least a year now as virtually all our shopping has been done online since this pandemic began.  The last thing I purchased for a small amount (£3.00) was the newspaper last Saturday.  Reading all of it takes a couple of days, it provides a TV guide for the week and it has a good Pub Quiz that we've been doing with the family via a Zoom call.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Despite the lockdown I'm trying to keep myself busy or at least occupied and remind myself that I'm actually very fortunate in lots of ways.  This time will pass. 


11 comments:

  1. I like your last comment: This time shall pass. Yes, this too shall pass. And we can get back to church and fires and spending our pennies. I enjoyed reading all your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I've bought a newspaper.....we get the local paper but that is just a once a week thing. I always enjoyed buying the paper and looking at the ads and comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to get it regularly and I did try the online version but found I was looking at it enough to justify the expense.

      Delete
  3. Your “this time shall pass” comment is one I keep close in my mind ... knowing that so many who have died from this virus will not see the passing of time - and how lucky I am to be living through it - so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling it to myself but I don't always listen.

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy reading these and seeing your answers. It gives me a chance to get to know you a little better each time. I'm not great at sticking to Lenten promises either. We grew up celebrating Lent and my children were raised to do so, too. I miss getting a daily paper. I've tried subscribing several times, but it is so filled with ads it doesn't seem worth the money. But I miss the comics, the crossword and the cryptoquip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen. I took out an online subscription but it didn't include all the puzzles, quizzes etc - that was an extra add on and it definitely wasn't worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fun thing to do with your family, the pub quiz. I finally found a youtube exercise regiment that looks like something I can stick to during these lockdown days and winter snow days! Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy,
    I always enjoy reading your posts.
    I like your random thought.
    "This time shall pass" ... thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't get a daily paper anymore, but I used to love the Sunday Times when we lived in England. It would last me all week : ) Hope things open up a bit there soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.