Thursday 19 November 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge 18/11/15



Wednesday's Hodgepodge is brought to us courtesy of Joyce at 

Pop over there to see other posts and if you want to join in add the link to your Hodgepodge blog post to the Linky List at the end of Joyce's post and don’t forget to visit at least your neighbours on the list.

Have fun!

1. What's surprised you most about your life, or about life in general?
Well that’s a bit deep – or at least it could be.  Life is full of surprises.  Some nice, some not.
2. Among others, these ten words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this year...awesomesauce, beer o'clock, brain fart, buttdial, cat cafe (apparently this is a real thing), fatberg (gross-read the definition here), fat shame, hangry, Mx (gender neutral), and skippable.
Your thoughts? In looking over the list, which word do you find most ridiculous? Which word would you never in a million years say out loud? Which word would you be most likely to use in conversation?
Well they’re all a bit ridiculous.  Hopefully, having checked out the definition, I won’t have the need to bring fatberg into conversation.  I don’t think I’m likely to use any of them.  I might ask if it’s wine o’clock though!
3. Do you like gravy? Is there a food you'd rather not eat unless it comes with gravy? Do you make your own or buy the canned or store-made variety? Turkey and gravy, sausage gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, country ham and red eye gravy, biscuits and chocolate gravy, pot roast and gravy...which one on the list is your favorite?
I love gravy.  Mine comes in granular form but hubby will make it from scratch.  Sausage and mash just has to have gravy.  We like to have suitably flavoured gravy as well, i.e. chicken for chicken and so on.
4. Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you ever had a plan fall into a trillion pieces? Explain.
I always sort of have a plan.  I definitely need a plan because without one I don’t get much done.  I guess the plan that fell into a trillion pieces was earlier this year when the plan to stay at work until retirement age came to a premature end.
5. November 19 is National Play Monopoly Day. Do you own the original or some version of the game? Do you enjoy playing Monopoly? How likely is it you'll play a game of Monopoly on November 19th? Ever been to Atlantic City? Ever taken a ride on a railroad? Is parking in your town free? Last thing you took a chance on?
We have an original UK version of Monopoly and I do enjoy playing it although playing with my kids becomes very competitive at times.  I’m not likely to be playing on the National Day (who thinks up all these days?) and I’ve never been to Atlantic City.  (Although I have been to a lot of the places on the UK board.  I’ve been on a railroad including travelling from Washington DC to New York via Philadelphia last year.
Parking in London is a nightmare.  Free parking does exist but most car parks charge.  Many residential areas are also parking zones where permits are required.  Charges vary from borough to borough.  Our borough doesn’t charge for the first car but subsequent cars attract a fee.  Visitors also have to pay.  Zones usually operate during working hours Monday to Friday although some operate on Saturdays too.  There is also a congestion charge enforced if you travel into central London during the working day. 
I took a chance yesterday and decided to call in on my mother-in-law and she was out.  Won’t make that mistake again.

6. A song you like that has the word (or some form of the word) thanks in the title, lyrics, or meaning?   
Well not sure it would be a favourite song of mine but the one that needled its way into my head was Thank you for the music by Abba.
7. In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude....what is something you're taking for granted that when you stop and think about it, you're grateful for?
Electricity.  I’ve very rarely had to manage without it and certainly not for very long (camping holidays excepted) but some areas lost power this week due to the storms we’ve had.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Our honeymooners are home safe and sound so I’ve had to give the cat back :(

3 comments:

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.