Tuesday 31 July 2018

Anyone need a bed? (Or whatever happened to manners?)


I believe that recycling is important.  I try to do my bit.  I have a compost bin, our council collects paper, plastic bottles and cans from the house.  Glass can be deposited in bins quite close by and there are collection points not too far away where I can deposit various other things such as batteries.

As I've got older I've become more conscious of the fact that we are becoming a very disposable society.  Things don't seem to last the same way either.

Consequently I'm glad of recycling websites for passing on furniture, homeware and all sorts of strange things.  I've got rid of quite a few things that we've no longer needed this way.  We once got rid of a cabin bed (a high bed with desk and wardrobe underneath) including the mattress to a guy who collected the whole thing in a VW Golf.  He crammed as much as he could inside and the mattress and other pieces were just piled on the roof, secured with bungee straps.  I was relieved to learn he got home safely!

Oops I'm waffling.

Right now I have a double bed to give away.  I posted it on a website recently and a young Mum responded.  We arranged a pick up time which had to be rearranged as she had no-one to look after her disabled son.  On the second day I got a message to say she was running late.  Then nothing!

No contact whatsoever.  She just didn't turn up.

Now I know that an emergency could have happened but surely after the event a message could have been sent to explain her no show.  Although of course as has been pointed out to me she could just have changed her mind or decided it was just too much bother to collect.  But why not just tell me?

Everyone has the right to change their mind.  "Sorry I've decided I don't want the bed that you are kindly giving away for free anymore.  Hope I haven't inconvenienced you."  Or just "changed my mind.  Not coming now."  would have been sufficient.

But nothing?  Really?  How rude!  Especially in this age of technology when it's so easy to send a message.

And now I find myself in the same situation again.  I relisted the bed and had several enquiries.  I had arranged with someone for them to collect the bed this evening after 6.30pm.  It's now gone 9.30 pm so I don't think they are coming. 


Once again I'm back to square one although I do have other people interested.  Hopefully one of them will actually turn up.

Rant over.

5 comments:

  1. As my mother used to say frequently, "Manners cost nothing!". Let's hope the next person actually turns up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't you just hate that!!! My husband fixes bicycles and sells them...same thing...folks don't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Wendy! People are not taught manners anymore or they just choose to not use them often!! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, done that! I've had good interactions on the FB groups like that but I've also had negative ones where a person shows lots of interest then you don't hear from them. It's irritating.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.