Sunday 29 July 2018

Time

I seem to have lost my mojo when it comes to blogging lately.  I've just about managed to keep up with the Hodgepodge and Friday's Fave Fives most weeks and a few book reviews here and there but not much else.

Now that Joyce is taking a well earned break from the Hodgepodge until at least September I know that I need to be more proactive about posting.  After all it's not as if I don't have time.  But I'm discovering that time is elusive.  It just seems to disappear.

I can't even blame it on rushing around.  I don't rush anywhere if I can help it, certainly not in this hot weather.  They are promising thunder storms tomorrow - I can't wait!  Well of course I can wait as time is my own.

Well it seems that time is not always my own.  I started this post on Thursday and it is now Sunday.  I intended coming back to it on Friday but I was feeling very unwell.  Turns out (after a visit to A & E late Friday evening) that I have a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and nothing more sinister.  I still have my appendix and thanks to an infusion of potassium, anti-nausea medication and antibiotics I'm beginning to feel better.

I have been taking it easy and wasting time playing games on my iPad.  As I said time is my own.  But I do still kick myself sometimes when I'm wasting it.

Of course spending time with the Grandchildren is never a waste of time.  The beauty of that is also that I can enjoy the time with them because there's usually nothing more important that needs doing.  That's the difference from being a parent to a Grandparent.  As a parent it was always:
  • It's time to take the older child(ren) to school
  • It's time to collect them from school
  • It's time to do the shopping, cleaning, ironing........
  • It's time to get the dinner on
I'm sure you get my meaning.  There was hardly ever time to just be:
  • Reading the same book over and over because it was a favourite
  • Building the stacking cups up, again, because knocking them down is still fun
  • Singing nursery rhymes until you're getting hoarse because it makes them laugh
  • Cuddling and sitting quietly just because you can
But as a Grandparent I can (usually) do all of the above and more at Nathan's pace.  I can be led by him because when I'm there to look after him that's what I focus on.   

And I'm loving it!  



6 comments:

  1. Me too! Most weeks I only have Wednesday Hodgepodge. Glad you are feeling better. I'm glad your are loving being a grandparent and you are right about being a parent vs a grandparent. I get to be a first time grandparent in October and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that sweet boy!! Of course you love your time with him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that photo. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great photo! You should definitely spend any extra minutes you have on Grandkids! So cute and so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very sweet photo and ENJOY your time my friend.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better and getting back into some blogging. I tend to let time flitter away and that's way I set challenges for myself. ... I love that you are doing 18 in 18. I am going to look up that post to see what's on it. ... Spending time with our grandkids, as you said, is not wasted time. I love that we can do all those things we really couldn't do when parents; or at least not without guilt, fatigue and a pull of priorities.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.