Time to get back into action and join in with Friday's Fave Five hosted by Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.
It's been 3 weeks since I sat down to do one of these posts. Not good, especially when I do have lots to be grateful for such as:
1) The weather is cooler! Last weekend was hot but Monday and Tuesday saw record breaking temperatures here in the UK. We hit 40 degrees C in quite a few places including London. And no, we don't have AC. Many older houses in the UK do not have AC - most of the year we don't need it. You open the windows, switch on a fan, it's fine. But not in this heatwave. Walking outside was like walking into a sauna. Downstairs in our house wasn't too bad but hot air definitely does rise - the upper floor was roasting hot. Sleeping has been very uncomfortable. It caused travel chaos too as our railway networks were not built to withstand these high temperatures and there were real worries that rails could buckle. One airport had to close while they did repairs to the runway where the tarmac had melted. Thankfully we're now back to normal summer temps of high 20s.
2) I have a roof over my head, money in the bank and don't need anything that we couldn't get or pay for. The heatwave caused many forest fires. That is not unusual in these weather conditions but what was unusual this week that in several areas homes were destroyed. Quite a few homes and very quickly. Some poor families were left with nothing but the clothes they were wearing as they fled their homes. Thankfully our communities seem to be good at rallying around at times like these.
3) Time with grandchildren. We had Rory and Vinny on Wednesday and we saw Nathan and Ella yesterday and today. I love that they live close to us and we get to see a lot of them.
4) An evening with friends. The 4 of us that usually get together for a Ladies Lunch are planning a trip to Ireland in the autumn and we were supposed to be getting together on Wednesday to try and sort out flights etc. Unfortunately one of our friends was stuck in Holland due to travel disruptions so the remaining 3 of us still got together and had a nice relaxed evening in A's home. We sat out in her garden which was nice and cool and she laid on a light supper which was unexpected but lovely.
5) Mini Magnums. I do love a Magnum ice cream but the original ones seem a bit extravagant as they're so big. The mini ones though are still enough to satisfy my craving without making me feel guilty about all the calories. Just finished a double caramel gold billionaire one. Delicious!
Have a good weekend all.