Saturday 11 August 2018

Review: Anybody Out There?

Anybody Out There? Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Anna Walsh is officially a wreck. Physically broken and emotionally shattered, she lies on her parents' Dublin sofa with only one thing on her mind: getting back to New York. New York means her best friends, The Most Fabulous Job In The World™ and above all, it means her husband, Aidan.

But nothing in Anna's life is that simple anymore... Not only is her return to Manhattan complicated by her physical and emotional scars – but Aidan seems to have vanished. Is it time for Anna to move on? Is it even possible for her to move on? A motley group of misfits, an earth-shattering revelation, two births and one very weird wedding might help Anna find some answers – and change her life forever.


It's been a while since I read a Marian Keyes book so I didn't connect this one with Watermelon, however although it's about the same family this is Anna's story and can easily be read as a stand alone.

It's chick lit at its best. Funny in places, sad in places but (mainly) credible. At the start of the story Anna is recuperating at her family home in Ireland after an accident. We don't immediately learn much about this accident or where her husband is. We don't even know Aiden is her husband.

We're drip fed information and initially I wasn't sure I was going to be drawn in enough to keep me interested considering it's a long book - 592 pages. I wondered where it was going and then there's a revelation and I was hooked.

Judging by the reviews you'll either love it or hate it but it's not a fluffy romantic read and I enjoyed it.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I'm not much into chick-lit, but I appreciate your well written review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a bit of Marian Keyes. Enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.