Saturday 11 August 2018

SoCS - 11/8/18 - Bodily Functions

It's been a while since I did one of these posts but you can find out how it all works here on Linda's site.

The SoCS prompt for today is Bodily Functions and host Linda kindly pointed us in the direction of a post that listed a variety of these albeit under some weird and wonderful names.


You might be thankful that I’m not going to choose any of those because some of them could be very embarrassing.  I’m actually going to talk about lactation although that could prove embarrassing too.  "Lactation is the production of milk by mammals through their mammary glands."  It is a natural process and one that is vital but before anyone jumps on me I’m not here to discuss the merits of breast feeding v bottle feeding.  I’ve been on both sides of that fence and now firmly believe that the mantra should be “fed is best”.


I attempted to feed my firstborn and succeeded for about 3 weeks until she continued to vomit such large quantities of milk back that one doctor thought she might have pyloric stenosis which would only require a “minor” operation to correct.  Trust me, no Mother of a newborn considers the prospect of ANY operation as “minor”.  Surgery on a tiny infant is not something to be blasé about.  Fortunately a second opinion determined this was not the case and that I should persevere.  After finding my baby in a pool of vomit in her cot my plans to breast feed went out the window.  Switching to bottle feeding wasn’t an easy decision but it worked for her. 


Babies 2 & 3 were both breast fed.  I’d like to say it was easy but getting feeding established is a painful process.  Throw in a bout of mastitis and a reaction to the antibiotics that were prescribed and I’m amazed that I managed to continue but I did and compared to mixing up bottles of formula and sterilizing bottles etc it was easier, although of course you do feel chained to your baby at times.


But, as usual, I’m digressing from the main point I wanted to make that, although in the UK breastfeeding is promoted, often to the point that Mothers who can’t manage it or choose not to do feel they have failed, we Brits are not actually very accommodating of feeding Mums.


I watched a TV documentary on this subject recently and it seems that many people do not feel comfortable around Mums while they are breastfeeding.  Covering up or doing it out of sight seemed to be the requirement.  And yet many Brits would be happy to go and sit on a beach where topless sunbathing is the norm and seeing pictures of scantily clad women in newspapers and magazines is totally acceptable. 


I currently have a daughter and 2 DILs who are breast feeding my grandsons.  I hope they will continue until they are ready to stop and not because they find it socially unacceptable and difficult to carry on.


It’s a normal bodily function and they should not be made to feel ashamed of it or embarrassed when doing it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I breastfed both our boys. I also had mastitis... but continued, I was blessed to give this for your boys.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is certainly a different and well-needed take on the prompt.

    We had no children, but at least one of my sisters-in-law breast-fed her kids. It was a bit shocking to see her doing it when I was at their house, but I didn't say anything.

    We had a cat that had five kittens who developed mastitis about a week after they born, and we ended up having to pack mother and babies into a carrier and take all of them to the vet. That was an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I breastfed my youngest. I was too much of a baby myself to try it with the oldest. We have this discussion going on all the time in the USA too. I think breat feeding is ONE way of feeding a baby. Another way is a bottle with formula. Whatever works for each mom. But with that being said I wish women would cover up when they breastfeed. Yes, it is a natural process but there are other natural bodily functions that I don't want to see in public. I breast fed my baby in public and never once showed my breast. It's possible. I think those who are into showing the breast (I'm talking about the entire breast; nipple and all) are just seeking attention. We are humans. But these are just my personal feelings and I hope I am allowed to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never given birth so have no experience, but you did a great job with this SOC post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first child was born 5 days before Christmas. The breastfeeding was going well, and I came home on Christmas Eve and in time to go to my husband's family party.
    When my daughter got hungry I started to prepare (cover-up with a light baby blanket, etc) and I was told and shown the bathroom! I recall sitting on the closed toilet seat crying while I fed my newborn baby. I was so young. If anyone tried to do that to me now, I would simply leave. And if they attempted to do that to my own daughter and her baby, well, I would be a force to be reckoned with!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.