Sunday 7 August 2022

(Fridays) Sunday's Fave Five - 7/8/22


Yes I do know it's Sunday but when life throws you a curveball days run into one another.  Late on Thursday evening I got a phone call from a stranger on my Hubby's phone.  Never a good thing.

Hubby had managed to take a tumble on his way home from an open mic he'd been too. Tumble is probably not the best word to describe his fall and subsequent injuries.  He obviously put out his hands to break his fall but still managed to hit the ground with his face.  In short he has a grazed and battered nose, a black eye, damaged teeth but worst of all he has managed to crack the ends of the radial bone in both arms where they meet the elbow joint.

We spent many hours in A & E (ER for my American friends) overnight and came home Friday morning with Hubby having both arms in a double sling.  Thankfully the follow up call during the day from the Fracture Clinic was reassuring - the cracks will heal, no casts are required, in fact he has to mobilise his arms, putting them through their range of movements every few hours and wearing the sling in between for the next week or two.  Although it will probably take 4-6 weeks before he has full movement back.

His left arm is already a lot better and moving more freely.  His right arm is much more painful and the movement is very limited at the moment although improving.  Of course he is right handed though so lots of things are difficult (impossible) for him to do himself right now. 

I have told him that if he wanted me to do more of the cooking he only had to ask and not resort to such extreme measures!  We're trying to maintain a sense of humour.

Anyway that's why this post is sooooo late and of course, although things have been a bit difficult the last couple of day, there are still things to be thankful for:

1)  The kindness of strangers.  2 men helped Hubby immediately after his fall, one of them stayed with him until I could get there in the car to collect him.

2)  Our NHS.  It's definitely under pressure right now but it was there for Hubby and it's great not having to worry about insurance claims/what things might cost etc.

3)  Our DIL who cooked extra Cottage Pie on Friday so that we had an easy meal for dinner (and enough for Saturday) and our daughter for picking up some shopping for us.  

4)  A big walk in shower.

5)  Our son and his family are safely home from Vermont and we had a video call with them earlier today.

I usually finish by saying enjoy the weekend but of course that's nearly over so have a good week all!

Oh and if you want to visit other bloggers who joined in on Friday click here for host Susanne's site and the Linky list.

7 comments:

  1. OH no!!! So very sorry!!! I hope he heals sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I am so sorry. The good news is that your hubby is healing fast. I'm glad you offered to step up to help with the cooking. :) NHS, extra food and shopping are all big deals when you can't get out yourself.
    Take care!
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to learn about your hubby's fall and painful injuries!! Back in the mid-80s, I fell and put my hand out to catch myself. Seven fractures in my left wrist. That was bad enough and I didn't crash my face into the floor. Ouch!! Hope he heals quickly and that you both have a better week ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I am so sorry for your husband's fall. How frustrating to have both arms in slings! I'm so thankful someone was there to help him. I'm glad you've had help with meals and shopping. A sense of humor always helps! I hope he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness! That was certainly quite a tumble! I hope he will be healing quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. So sorry to hear about the accident. I can't imagine both arms having to be in a sling. Thank God there was someone there to help him out and he wasn't by himself. You did make me laugh with what you said to him about you cooking. Praying he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how terrible for you husband. Glad it wasn’t worse.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.