Friday 30 October 2020

Friday's Fave Five - 30/10/20


Thanks to our host Susanne for reminding us to be mindful each week and find five things to be thankful for. You can join in by clicking on the link below:

Living to the the Story  

The picture above is very apt - been sweeping up leaves on and off all week.  None of them from trees we own - there are 2 close to our driveway that, thankfully, seem to have shed all their leaves now but there are also plenty of leaves in the garden from our neighbours' trees.   Winter is definitely coming.

Despite all the leaves and rain every day this week, there are still things to be glad about:

1)  I saw Nathan and his Mummies twice this week.  Technically we should only be meeting people outdoors now but we can provide essential childcare.  Hospital visits of course fall into that category but so do breaks for their mental health in my book.

2)   I finally found a soap dish for our downstairs shower room.  I ordered one from Marks and Spencer first but it was much too big.  On the website the picture is like this - looks pretty standard.

Until you see if with a standard bar of soap in it.  I mean who has soap almost 4 times the normal size to use?  (Yes the dimensions were on the website but not immediately obvious.)  Needless to say I shall be returning it.  I then ordered one with my online food shopping that was perfect in size and a quarter of the price.

3)  No quibble refund policy from Lakeland.  Again I ordered some things online but one of them wasn't quite what I needed.  I contacted them and explained I didn't feel comfortable visiting the store nearest to me to return it as it is in a very busy shopping mall but I was happy to post it back.  The nice woman I spoke to told me not to worry - she would arrange a refund (which I've had) and when things were better and I could visit the store I could just return it then.

Well of course I will return it at some point but I bet there will be a lot of things that never get returned.  Another issue for retailers thanks to Covid.

4)


We finished unpacking boxes!  Well some things are now in different boxes or just in the empty bedroom but all the boxes supplied by the removal company were empty and piled up in our garage.  We contacted the company yesterday and today they came and collected them.  The man was very impressed at how organised we were.  We were just able to open the front of the garage and transfer them to his van.  Job done!

5)  We managed to get the IKEA furniture assembled:

This unit is in Hubby's office/den.  He's been having fun (?) this week filling it up with his things.

 

This bookcase fits perfectly just inside the dining room without taking up too much space and it has all our cookery books in it.

So not much out and about this week - it has rained everyday.  I did get a quick walk around the lake earlier in the week but it is very muddy.  But I do feel we've made progress in the house.  We've also had delivery of a shed and they will be coming to install it in just over a week's time so that will also enable more progress.

I think I'll be having a rest this weekend!  I hope you enjoy the weekend too whatever you're doing.
 

13 comments:

  1. I feel like I am reading about my life here. LOL! You are a week or two ahead of us. We haven't ordered our shed yet. And we still need to arrange for our fencing.
    IKEA! Yes, we visited there too and The Professor is almost finished assembling 4 rather large bookshelves.
    I hope you settle into your new home quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job of settling in. The bookcase looks perfect nestled in that corner. I had to laugh at the size of the soap dish! It looks like a small casserole LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe it's designed for the liquid handsoaps and hand lotions that usually come in pairs but they could have shown a pic with those in it lol

      Delete
  3. I am glad you had some time with the boys! It sure looks like you are settling in well, Wendy! I'm sorry you are all locked down again over there. We will probably be pulled back again but we are enjoying the freedom right now. Take care!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. Announced last night - national lockdown from Thursday! :(

      Delete
  4. Time with the grandchildren is the best. It must be nice to be settling in to the new house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your week wwas similar to mine, only I have now everything in place. I am happy no leaves on our balcony the trees are far away ! But our neighbors a very big house with lots of trees and shrubs and swimming pool, have gardeners twice a week with a big very noisy vacuum cleaner to get rid of the leaves. Must cost a fortune ! I like your IKEA furniture they really have very nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new house and yay for rain!! Our earth needs rain as much as it needs sunshine, right?? Look for the beauty in it when you feel down because of it. God made all the seasons for us to enjoy!

    How strange that you cannot return things....we have no problems with that here in Mew York State. All of our stores are open and you can exchange or return things as long as you wear the mask. Glad you got the refund at least!!

    I only use bottled shower soaps so never have a bar soap dish but wow!! That IS a big dish!! Maybe fits two?? 🤣

    How fun to visit with your grandson! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith. There's actually no reason I couldn't return it - the shops were open but I just wasn't comfortable going to one of the biggest malls in our area which I've heard still gets crowded. From Thursday the shop will probably be closed again though - national lockdown announced yesterday starting on Thursday until early December.

      Delete
  7. How nice to be moved in and have so many boxes unpacked! Glad you got to see Nathan and family. I am sorry for the renewed lockdown. I fear that will happen here--a number of people here aren't taking the mask and distancing seriously. I dread returns--it's nice when they go smoothly. That is an odd size for a soap dish. Hope you got some rest over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.