Monday 2 November 2020

20 in 20 Autumn Update


Well I've called this an Autumn update as I realised to my horror that the last update I did was back in July!  We have been a bit busy and times have been strange.  I haven't always had the same desire to blog. Not good.  But here goes:

1. Fill out weekly/daily planner
I am still doing this and it does make me feel like I have some control over what's going on. 

2. Garden projects: Get window boxes for front garden plus big planters. Stepping stones for rear garden.
Well of course we stopped doing new projects at our old house once we knew we were moving and now we have a new house to work on.  The garden here is quite a blank canvas of 2 areas of grass.  Patio areas and a corner with raised beds of mainly lavender.

We did manage to get the grass cut a couple of times - it was very long when we moved in, but it has been very very wet!

We've also taken delivery of a shed which will be installed next week, then I can get the gardening tools, lawn mower etc in their rightful place.  Not sure what I want to do with the garden yet but will definitely be making it low maintenance.

3. Plan a lunch date/date night with Nick once a month (theatre/cinema/meal/outing)
Well we did manage to eat out once back in August when the "Eat out" scheme was still up and running but of course now we're facing total lockdown again so I think I need to think outside the box on this one.


4. Eat at 6 new-to-me restaurants
The restaurant we went to in August was new to me - it was a pub close to our old house that has recently been completely refurbished.  It had a limited menu due to all the covid restrictions but it was fine for pub food.  Brings the total of new restaurants visited to 3.  Don't think I'm going to make this target by the end of the year.


5. Complete the A – Z blogging challenge

Done
6. Plan Family weekend for my birthday
Next year?

 
7. Take up an exercise class
Not happening!


8. Plan a road trip/holiday with hubby.
Hopefully one day!


9. Visit the beach
At some point!


10. Complete my reading challenge (52 books for the year)
I've completed this challenge and am currently at 64 books read.  (Something good to come out of lockdown!) Full details can be found on my Goodreads page here.


11. Keep a gratitude diary
This is a big fail.


12. Blog at least once per week (plus regular memes)
Well August was quite a good month but September and October were not!

13. Take a photo each week and blog about it.
Again the move has scuppered this one.  I haven't posted any weekly photos since the end of August even though I have taken photos.  I will try and continue this again from now and allow myself some slack due to moving house and still give myself a

14. Read 12 books on my TBR pile.  
Completed! 
15. Finish knitting WIP (blanket of squares)

No change during June. (But I am about 2/3 of the way through the 3rd blanket  for the new Grandchildren.)❌

16. Try out a new recipe or do a bake each month 
Nick has taken over the cooking for the time being but the last couple of weeks I have taken more of an active role in planning the meals.

17. Visit/see Noah every month
Well we saw them in August and then we managed to meet the new Grandson at the beginning of October.  With covid restrictions I'm not sure when we'll be able to visit again. 

18. Get damp treatment done in house
Well I guess I could give myself a
✅ for this one.  We didn't actually get the work done but as we no longer have the house it's not something we have to worry about any more!

19. Maintain weight 

Still fluctuating but no significant gains (or losses.)

20. Be kind to myself. Whilst I think it's good to set myself challenges sometimes life gets in the way or I just have days where I really can't be bothered. I need to accept this and not be hard on myself when things don't go to plan.
Things are definitely not going to plan this year!  But I am being kind to myself.

9/20 (45%) - better than July but might be as good as it gets!

Well it almost feels futile trying to carry on with this but I don't give up easily and it's a way of remembering just how difficult this year has been.  Taking on board #20 it's also good to remember that a lot of good things have happened too.  We have 2 new Grandsons who are both doing well.  We have been able to meet them and although we can't see them as often as we'd like they are too young to know what's going on.  It's harder with the older ones but we're doing our best.  We've also managed to complete the move to our new house and have another Grandchild to look forward to before we say goodbye to 2020.

8 comments:

  1. I think you are doing well in this horrid COVID year!! PLUS you moved and got new grandchildren! You are pretty awesome, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many of us 2020 will be a year to remember for all the wrong reasons. You are fortunate you will have achieved much this year - moving house is no mean feat! Two new grandchildren is a blessing that brings a silver lining to all the dark clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we won't forget this year in a hurry but we do have good things to be grateful for too.

      Delete
  3. I think for all of us 2020 will be forever in our minds ! As you said nothing went the normal way ! At least we could move and you have two grandchildren more. But liberty ?? I try to make the best out of it not easy sometimes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not easy but we do just have to get on with it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Wendy,
    I think you are doing very well. Things are nuts with COVID, plus you sold your house, packed up and moved. I think you really have done well!!

    You have stayed positive and that is awesome as well. High Fives for all the good reads. And lots of hugs to the sweet additions to the family.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.