Thursday 22 October 2020

Progressing

Today has been a tiring but productive day.  Good to see progress!

I was up fairly early to take delivery of our online shop.  We spent yesterday evening planning our meals etc so hopefully we now have everything we need for the next week.

After that I got some  washing done and then I tackled the garden.

This is the view looking out of the kitchen or dining room window.  You can see I've got the bird feeder set up now and our bench is now where it will enjoy some sunshine .


This is looking back at the house.

And this is looking down the side of the house to the other section of garden.
I spent time tidying the paved area at the end today and cutting back the lavender that is in the raised beds in the corner.


Looking much better!  And one thing I like about this London borough - we have a brown waste bin for garden and food waste.  They only collect fortnightly but so much easier than having to book it as we did in the old house.

These pictures show the chaos that still remains in the studio.  I've now got the exercise bike from my daughter but there are also ordinary bikes in there and gardening equipment.
It's a mess but it will be good when it's sorted and it does look out onto the garden.  We've ordered a shed but it will probably be a few weeks before it's delivered and installed.
Once the shed is up we can move stuff out from here and the garage, then the ordinary bikes will be able to go into the garage and we'll be a little bit more organised.

Another couple of things I've achieved have been sorting out the alarm system and one of our TV sets.  

We had the alarm system checked and it's all working fine.  We can even alarm parts of the house during the night which is reassuring.  I don't feel unsafe in the house but the layout is more vulnerable than our old house so the alarm is definitely a plus.  I even managed to program one of the keyfobs into the system today.  We discovered one of the fobs wasn't working and assumed it was the battery.  I changed the battery but it still didn't work.  It looked fairly new compared to the other fobs so I checked and found the system only had 3 fobs set up but I was able to set the 4th fob up without setting off the alarm!  Progress.

As for the TV, well that was a bit embarrassing.  It was working fine in the old house but seemed dead here.  We changed the fuse in the plug.  We located the remote.  We found the alternative buttons on the side of the TV but nothing seemed to work.  After speaking to a repair shop and planning to get it looked at I decided to do one last check for any other buttons!  Just as well I did.  There was a small on/off switch hidden away that had obviously got into the off position during the move.  I'd have felt really stupid if we'd dragged it all the way to a repair shop for that lol.

Social media and the internet can be a pain at times but it can also be useful.  Thanks to a recommendation from a local group I've also got a repair guy coming to look at our dishwasher which has gone wrong.  I did try and check for any obvious problems with it but according to the instruction manual the light that's flashing indicates a problem that needs to be fixed by an expert.  That I am not!
 

8 comments:

  1. Your garden areas and that back patio are just beautiful! Nice spaces for you and also the grandkids to enjoy in safety! I'm glad you are getting settled in, Wendy, and thanks for sharing it all with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. I like the fact that it's pretty much a blank canvas for us to add to as much or as little as we want.

      Delete
  2. Hi Wendy, thank you for sharing the photos. I think your garden is going to be a favorite place. It looks very nice.
    The story about the TV made me laugh.
    :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're settling in. I like your garden area! Had to smile at your TV mishap because it reminded me of a problem I had with my laptop years ago when it stopped connecting to the internet. Who knew there was a little slide switch on the side that turned that functionality off? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wouldn't have known about an internet switch either. Never heard of that.

      Delete
  4. Moving and getting adjusted to a new place is a full time job. Sounds like you are making progress - one step at a time! You will get there.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.