Sunday 7 January 2024

Just Jot it January - 7/1/24 - Curious


 

Welcome to the seventh prompt for Just Jot it January 2024! Today’s prompt is brought to us by Dan Antion.  Please be sure to visit Dan’s blog to read his posts and say hello. 

Your prompt for JusJoJan January 7th, 2024 is “curious.” Use the word “curious” any way you’d like. Enjoy!  To find out more about the challenge go here.

Well today I'm curious about how much attention people pay to stats.  I've always had a reasonable interest in Statistics - I took it as an A level subject here but of course I've forgotten most of my knowledge.  I do know that stats are very easy to manipulate to show the result you want lol.

I was led to this pondering after seeing a post on FB concerning the 52 book challenge I'm attempting this year.  There is a reading journal specifically designed for the challenge that I have purchased and in there is a page for logging your reading.  


As you can see I'm keeping mine nice and simple - there's a hint of sarcasm there you may have detected.  There have been lots of pretty examples shared on FB with lots of colour coding relating to number of pages read, genre of book, time spent and more.....

Someone also posted pictures of a different journal that seemed to have multiple pages for logging these stats and even more information!

My question here is - How much time is all this logging/colour coding etc taking away from actual reading time?!

Perhaps I'm not taking this challenge seriously enough. The reading challenge that is.  It's day 7 of Just Jot it January and I haven't missed a day yet.  A good start.


13 comments:

  1. Mark Twain opined that there were three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all that filling in and colour coding is all faff just read 😉😁😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all that filling in and colour coding is all faff just read 😉😁😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. A reading journal with that much information to fill out seems like a lot of work. I read for enjoyment and entertainment and don't think I would like doing a statistical journal. Keep us posted on your journey!! Have a good week ahead, Wendy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading but don't like to put pressure on myself to have to read a certain number of books. A book a week would restrict me to reading very short books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but you know how I love a challenge lol

      Delete
  6. I have been reading along with the PopSugar Challenge for the past five or six years. I do keep a reading log but I don't do it daily, just write down the books I've read, when I read them and whether they are for the reading challenge or to scratch off one of the 100 books on a poster I got a few years ago. Sometimes 1 book fills both things and I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of my DILs does the PopSugar Challenge - she is a voracious reader and does a lot of audio books at a slightly faster pace. I can't cope with audio at all - I get too distracted and if I read them in bed I fall asleep!

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.