Saturday 27 January 2024

#SoCS/Just Jot it January - 27/1/24 - Make the call


Day 27 today so we're nearly done.  I've missed a couple of days but I've definitely upped my blogging level.

Today being a Saturday Just Jot it January is combined with Stream of Consciousness Saturday, both of which are hosted by Linda here.  Check out her site for all the rules and more.

The prompt for #JusJoJan the 27th and Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “make the call.” Use it as an idiom or use it literally. Have fun!

Well I'm all into prompts at the moment.  I've signed up for a reading challenge this year known as the 52 book challenge - read 52 books over the year and match them with 52 prompts.

With me so far?  Good.  

It's well organised - there is a great website that explains EVERYTHING and gives detailed guidance on how to use the prompts and, very helpfully, links to Goodreads for lists of books that might meet the prompts.

I thought I'd give it a go and managed to match up quite a few books on my TBR  pile to various prompts.

And of course, as there is for most things, there is a Facebook group.  

Well, I think I'm either going to have to leave the group or at least snooze it for a while.  There are so many posts on there each day.  It's exhausting.  But... what really frustrates me is the number of posts questioning whether a book meets a particular prompt or not.

Now the organisers of the challenge are very clear.  It's your challenge, there are no rules.  If you determine a book fits a particular prompt then it does.  End of.  No need for debate.  It shouldn't be up for discussion.  

Can you tell I'm losing the will to live?  And.... when do these people even find time to read when they're spending so much time on FB?  Well some of them must have brilliant brains because they're reading loads.  Even listening to audio books at faster than the normal speed.  I can't get through an audio book without falling asleep and losing my place.  Yes it's probably not a good idea to listen in bed but I don't think listening in the car would be great or while trying to prepare dinner for example.  Could lead to all sorts of disasters.

But the debates over the prompts are driving me nuts.  It's very clear so people don't keep dithering over books and prompts, just make the call and get on with reading the book!

Thanks to Linda for keeping us on track here.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. If it is stealing your joy, jump off the merry-go-round!! I'm at an age where it is easy for me to say no and continue with my life, no guilt or regrets. Blessings, Wendy! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.