Thursday 11 January 2024

Just Jot it January - 11/1/24 - Olive


It’s Day 11 of  the Just Jot it January challenge 2024 and today’s prompt is brought to us by Kaye. Click here to visit her blog and say hello. Thanks Kaye  (And click here to see who else has posted today.)

The prompt is “olive.” Use it as a noun or an adjective, use it any way you’d like. Have fun!

Well it was the first Thursday session of 2024 at the Food bank that I volunteer at today and although there was a lot of food available for those in need there was not an olive in sight.

To be fair olives are quite a rare sight.  Occasionally we get food from one of the more upmarket supermarkets (Waitrose) and there might be some more unusual items but not olives on their own.  Plenty of pasta and rice and canned goods though.  

We get deliveries from the council each week.  Not sure exactly how that works in terms of where it all originates from and it can be a bit hit and miss.  For example they will regularly provide canned goods and rice and porridge oats but then there will be random things.  Today for example we had large pouches of butternut squash and basil soup.  Fortunately they had an expiry date of a few weeks so we'll look to use them next week as a lunch for our users - we were already cooking our usual jacket potatoes with a filling for today's lunch but I'm sure the soup will go down well next week in the current cold weather.  

But we also had a lot of individual chocolate desserts that expired tomorrow - so they all had to go today as the bank is not open now until next Tuesday.  We did manage to give them all out and of course it's nice for people to have a treat but yep, a bit random.

Personally I'm not a lover of olives but my hubby loves them and he particularly likes a canned variety that are stuffed with anchovies.  I was doing my online shop tonight and the ones we usually get were out of stock.  They did have a low salt version but I decided that if he knew they were low salt he would just add so much salt to compensate that he'd end up eating more salt than with the ordinary version.  He does love his salt!  So no olives for him either this week!



3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love olives and always have them in the 'fridge. One of my favorite snacks is crackers with cheese and olives. Happy weekend, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with hubby, I love olives. They are one of my favorite snacks, just like Terri above mentions, crackers, cheese and olives.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never met an olive I didn't love. One of my favorites and I can eat far too many. My in-laws used to give me olives in my Christmas stocking lol. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.