Saturday 1 September 2012

Work in progress 010912



I’m gradually moving forward with work that needs doing in the house.  Now that we’ve almost sorted out Mum’s affairs I know that I need to get back on track.   

We had the damp problem in the kitchen sorted this week – nice load of dust from the rendering and plaster!  And the builder has been back to check out what needs doing next – originally he was just going to do the ceiling, floor and re-decorate.  Now I want some extra kitchen units fitted.  

But it was two steps forward and one step back – the new boiler we had installed recently needs boxing in and I was hoping to get an integrated fridge to fit underneath in so it was one tall cupboard unit to match my existing units but that’s not going to work – the boiler needs to be boxed in to the ceiling and the height from floor to ceiling is too high for standard units and to try and get it custom made was just going to be ridiculous so I’ve opted to keep my existing free standing fridge and just get the boiler boxed in.  But am still going ahead with extra units on the other side of the room.  

He won’t be able to start work until well into October but that will give the new plaster time to really dry out and for me to declutter the room.  For starters I have two shelves full of cookery books and we probably only use about 6-10 of them on a regular basis!  Plus other stuff that hasn’t seen the light of day for longer than I care to remember.  Lots of freecycling/donating to charity shops to be done!   

Not very motivated so far today though – slightly pre-occupied by the fact that my youngest is currently in New Orleans and haven’t heard from him since Tuesday.  He reassured me before then that they had a full tank of petrol in the car if they had to evacuate, candles, torches, etc and would be fine.  Would just be nice to know he is fine and not knee deep in water! 

3 comments:

  1. I hope you have heard from your youngest in New Orleans and that all is well.

    I absolutely detest home improvement - there always seems to be the unexpected and it is always more money, never less. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have heard by now from your youngest in New Orleans. I am sure he is fine and it will have been the adventure of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be having a hard time leaving comments; hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.