Friday 12 February 2016

Friday Five News 12/2/16




Well it’s been a busy few weeks so my news item postings have been sorely neglected. I thought I might try for some happier stories this week so here goes:

The INTERNATIONAL  story I picked out is this one on moves to start UN siege aid in Syria and efforts to try and get a truce in place to enable talks between the conflicting parties.

I can’t claim to have full understanding of why and how the situation in Syria has developed but any plans to alleviate the suffering of the innocent people caught up in the hostilities must be a good thing. 

This LOCAL  news item is not particularly happy but it does report on the return to the UK of a man suspected of killing his wife and two children in December last year.  The remains of their bodies were not discovered until January by which time the suspect had flown to Ghana.  Hopefully now there can be a thorough investigation and a trial and the family will get answers to many outstanding questions.

In SPORT:  there are a lot of events taking place for this year’s Sport Relief event.  Especially celebrity events.  We’ve already seen Jo Brand walk across the UK from Humber to Liverpool, a distance of 135 miles.  She spent a week doing it so averaging around 20 miles per day in some horrible weather.

The link will take you to reports on the challenge being completed today by Greg James, a radio presenter.  He will have undertaken 5 TRIATHLONS in 5 days.  When I first noticed the article I read it as marathons but when I realised it was triathlon so includes running, cycling and swimming in OPEN FREEZING COLD WATER well I was filled with respect.  I’m sure he’s going to be really happy when he crosses the finishing line.  And it’s all in a good CAUSE.

Not really a story for ENTERTAINMENT this week but a preview of a new drama series starting next week – The Night Manager.  It stars Olivia Coleman, Hugh Laurie, and is based on a Le Carre book.  What’s not to like?  (I haven’t read the book though and I do prefer to do that first, before watching adaptations.)

Under MISCELLANEOUS  I found this story about a Spanish civil servant who had been absent from work for 6 years before anyone noticed.  Nice work if you can get it!

All links are courtesy of the BBC website. Opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that Spanish worker must have had a really important job! I wonder if they will now be claiming back all those wages?

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.