Wednesday 20 June 2018

Wednesday Hodgepodge 20/6/18



Wednesday's Hodgepodge is brought to us courtesy of Joyce at 
Pop over there to see other posts and if you want to join in add the link to your Hodgepodge blog post to the Linky List at the end of Joyce's post and don’t forget to visit at least your neighbours on the list.
Have fun!

1. Summer is upon us this week in the Northern hemisphere. Tell us three things on your summer bucket list.

I don’t have a bucket list as such but 3 things I definitely want to do this summer are:

·         Enjoy our extended family get together at the end of August.  All 3 Grandsons will be there so it’s going to be a lot of fun.

·         See as much of the Grandbabies as possible – especially the 2 little ones – they grow so fast at this age I don’t want to miss anything.

·         Plan some days out with hubby.  Yes I’m a family kind of girl!

2. Something fun you used to do as a kid in the summertime?
We would go blackberry picking.  We’d get the bus or train out to the nearby forest and spend hours picking them and then we got home my Dad would make delicious apple and blackberry pies.  My Mum did most of the cooking in our house but Dad was excellent at making things like pies, sausage rolls that melted in the mouth and even fancy celebration cakes.

3. Rooftop or backyard? Why?
Backyard.  I’ve never really had the option of rooftop and it's not something I've wished for.
4. Do you read food labels? Place importance on them? Make an effort to find out/care about where your food comes from?

I read them for dates as in Best Before/Use by but that’s about it.  We try to use fresh ingredients and cook from scratch as much as possible rather than using prepared meals.    
5. A song you'll have on repeat this summer?

I am rubbish at music – I rarely have any on in the house but I do put the radio on in the car so it will probably be whatever the biggest hit is during the next couple of months.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
RIP Candy Crush etc.  I deleted a few apps from my iPad this morning.  I have too many things on my “to do” list before my DIL’s parents arrive from Vermont for a visit next month.  They’ll obviously be spending as much time as possible getting to know their Grandson but they’re staying with us.  I need no excuses for time wasting! (Well except for blogging of course lol)

11 comments:

  1. Wendy,

    Gaming absorbs one's precious time. I remember the days when I played Farmville on Facebook. It got ridiculous so after years of doing it, I just went cold turkey. The only way to do that was delete it. It wasn't nearly as hard to do as I first thought and felt liberating! I remember picking wild blackberries and raspberries as a kid. We rarely took the berries home. Instead, we filled our bellies with the spoils of our discovery. :) I always check for "Best By" dates on products, too. It's amazing how many shoppers I see who don't look for this but then how can they yapping on the phone while the shop? *eye rolls* It was nice reading your responses. I hope you'll join me at my place today!

    Curious as a Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for deleting the apps! I need to do that as well! I LOVE blackberry picking!!! That brought back memories!!!!!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I must be the only person on the planet who's never played a game on their computer or phone. We picked berries too, when i was a kid. There was a blackberry patch nearby and we'd wear long sleeves to protect our arms from those nasty thorns, and ice cream buckets on our belts to collect the berries. Like you, I always look forward to family gatherings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found deleting a game gives me a surprising sense of freedom. I used to play Farmville back in the day, but haven't missed it at all after getting rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten about picking blackberries. We didn't have to go far to find wild bushes growing in abundance along the roads and in the woods. We most often ate the spoils of our picking on the spot, but did love a Blackberry Cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That section on blackberries has my mouth watering. Nothing better than picking berries and eating them. I also do love a good sausage roll :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it is best to just delete something and move on. I uninstalled Facebook for a good long while after the election and it was great. I am sort of doing the same today because my sister is arguing with me on immigration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't play many games on my phone, other than solitaire. Those grandbabies could be the 1, 2, and 3 on you list. Have fun with the coming relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately we have a mini family, and when my grandson was a baby he had helicopter parents and nobody was allowed to babysit him ! Now he is 7 and it's better. I will even spend the first week of his summer holidays with him !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 5 days to prepare my house for my friends visit. I had a great idea about the windows, using a mop and soap to get the screens and windows all soaped up and then the hose to clean them off. For some reason my screens are a disaster. Then it's onto dusting and vacuuming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blackberries. :-)
    Will this be your DIL families first visit to the UK? How fun to be able to host them.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.