Thursday 3 February 2022

Book Review - The Long Call - Ann Cleeves

The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)The Long Call by Ann Cleeves
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In North Devon, where two rivers converge and run into the sea, Detective Matthew Venn stands outside the church as his father’s funeral takes place. Once loved and cherished, the day Matthew left the strict evangelical community he grew up in, he lost his family too.

Now, as he turns and walks away again, he receives a call from one of his team. A body has been found on the beach nearby: a man with a tattoo of an albatross on his neck, stabbed to death.

The case calls Matthew back into the community he thought he had left behind, as deadly secrets hidden at its heart are revealed, and his past and present collide.

I think my opinion of this book is clouded by the fact that I had already seen the TV adaptation. I couldn't remember everything of the TV show but it did follow the book quite closely.

Essentially it's a "whodunnit?" and "why?" which unfolds gradually and with some red herrings along the way. I enjoyed it but felt it needed a bit more depth to the main police characters.

I've enjoyed other series by this author but I'm a bit on the fence about this new one.

View all my reviews 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your always honest and insightful book reviews, Wendy! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.