Wednesday 1 May 2019

Wednesday Medley - 1/5/19


The Wednesday Medley is hosted by Terri over at Your Friend from Florida.
The questions usually start with the National Day and follow on from there. No rules and there is no obligation. Link up if you want to over at Terri's site and see who else is joining in the fun.

Today is May Day.  More information on that can be found on Terri's site.
1.  Ahhh... May Day!!  Happy May!  Did you celebrate this when you were a child by dancing around a Maypole or leaving flowers on someone's porch? Will you be celebrating a special occasion in May?
I don't remember doing anything special for May Day but we do have a bank holiday on the first Monday of May so that makes a nice break.
This month we'll be celebrating my daughter's birthday and remembering my Mum who passed away on that day in 2012.  We'll also be celebrating Grandson Noah's 1st birthday!
(There are so many other things being celebrated today that I
think we need to give them some attention, too!)

2.  National Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987.  Can you name a nursery rhyme that would fit your life as it was in 1987?  If you are a youngster and not yet born in 1987, you may pass, of course, but do you have a favorite nursery rhyme?  HERE is a list of nursery rhymes.
I probably had lots as my firstborn was almost a year old in 1987.  And now I'm on to Grandchildren and we've started all over again although it's more action songs like "Wheels on the Bus" or "Head, shoulders, knees and toes"!

3.  National Chocolate Parfait Day is also honored on this day. Parfait means perfect in French. Tell us about a perfect day, in your mind, and would/could it end with a chocolate parfait?
Probably a walk by the sea or in the countryside with hubby, followed by time with all the family and of course it would finish with chocolate!


Image result for image cartoon chocolate maxine grumpy old woman
4.  National School Principal's Day was founded to celebrate these school administrators who support and guide quality teachers and staff to provide productive learning environments for our children.  Did you have a good Principal when you were in school? Do you remember his/her name?
I remember my high school principal as an elderly, rather old fashioned lady.  Small but with a fierce demeaner.  She was Miss Cruttenden.  I was fortunate to work with a few very good principals too.

5. And perhaps the most important one is Silver Star Service Banner Day which honors the sacrifices of the combat wounded, ill, and dying service members from all branches of the military.  Do you have family members who have served this country in uniform? Tell us about them, if you will.
My Dad served the UK.  He entered the army at 16 to escape working in the coal mines.  It enabled him to train as a mechanical engineer but  I'm not sure if he realised that he would then be caught up in WW2.  (He was 22 then) One of my regrets is that I didn't get to talk to him much about his experiences (he passed away when I was 22) although he didn't like to talk about it much - he was one of the many soldiers fortunate enough to be rescued from Dunkirk.

6.  It's Hump Day! How is your week going so far?
Busy as usual.  I have 3 days of Grandsitting this week but today is a free day so I'm relaxing and having a "me" day!

Thanks for the questions Terri and your visits here.

13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your "me" day! Sounds like it's well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the US so we don't really celebrate May Day here. I am very interested in National Parfait Day. That sounds yummy! Hope you enjoy your "me day"!

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could go for a walk on the beach myself...that sounds awesome! Have a great May Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A walk by the sea sounds amazing! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many stories and experiences are lost with our parent's deaths. I think we all wish we had taken the time to ask more questions and spend quality time at their feet. We still miss the company and wisdom of our parents even after all these years. Enjoy your "me" day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your "me" day!! We all need them! I'm so glad your dad made it through Dunkirk. I saw that movie and can't imagine the horror of sitting there, waiting to be rescued. Thanks for joining the Medley today, Wendy! Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honoring your dad, Wendy. I watched the movie Terri mentioned as well. Thank goodness he made it.
    Enjoy your fun time.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw...it's too bad you didn't hear more about your dad's service. I find all those stories fascinating. There is a woman at the nursing home where I work who grew up in the UK. Just a couple of weeks ago she told me about her family's apartment just outside of London and how they had to close the blackout curtains every night...and being a kid, she always had to peek out and someone would come running up the stairs to yell at her mom to get her away from the window every night. Scary way to live, but fascinating stories to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Head, shoulders, knees and toes." This made me laugh out loud, on account I still do that … both to cheer myself up and stretch my unwilling (ie, old) muscles. I hope your "me" was delight-full!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how wonderful! "Me Days" are the best! Hope it was great! Your perfect day sounds great!! Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. A walk by the sea sounds wonderful! How amazing that your Dad was rescued from Dunkirk. It is definitely too bad you couldn't have heard more about it. My dad didn't talk too much about his service, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I recently saw the movie Dunkirk. Your fathers experience must have been ...intense

    ReplyDelete
  13. Besides the May Day which we call here "Fête du travail" Work fest (!!) and where you offer a Lilly of the Valley to family and friends all the other days I never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.