Tuesday 8 October 2019

A bit of Waffle!

I have managed to catch a cold.  It started over the weekend and a day with Rory yesterday has left me feeling exhausted today so I'm being kind to myself and taking it very easy.  (I have another day with Rory tomorrow to be ready for.)

Like all my grandsons, Rory is a joy to spend time with but he is hard work.  He's also cutting more teeth so he's runny nosed and dribbly.  He did sleep for quite a bit yesterday but when he's awake there's no rest for Nanny!

I've been trying to catch up with your blogs and I was also looking back on some of my own.  In particular posts that I've written on Brexit.  It's hard to fathom that it's over 3 years since we the country voted to leave the EU and we seem no nearer to reaching an agreement on how it will actually happen.  In fact we seem much closer to crashing out with no deal at all as the latest deadline of 31st October draws nearer.  

Yes it's depressing and watching the news is not a fun activity but I still do, just to see what the latest craziness is.  After all who would have thought Boris Johnson would end up as Prime Minister?  As for the Benn Act as it's being called (or the Surrender Act depending on which camp you are in) which is supposed to prevent us from crashing out with No Deal, will BJ comply with it?  Probably not.  He's a slippery character and I'm sure he's plotted some way of not doing so, even though he says he will.

Keeping up with it all is difficult.  I've given up on being able to name prominent post holders.  There have been so many changes over the last few years (months even) and that's before you look at how the political parties are shifting.   Which of course is another problem.  In the past, one way to prevent the Conservatives taking us out of the EU with No Deal would have been to force a general election and put the Labour Party into power and for us all to take a deep breath.  Currently I don't think any party is capable of securing a majority and the prospect for any coalition being successly formed looks highly unlikely too.  Although scarily, it seems that Johnson is proving popular, particularly with those that voted to leave, and with the remainers possibly split between the Lib Dems and Labour, the possibility of the Conservatives remaining in power after a general election is becoming more likely.  It's no wonder that none of the other parties are rushing to call a vote of no confidence and trigger an election.

Meanwhile nothing of any other importance seems to be getting done, particularly with regard to climate change (yes it is real!) and we currently have Extinction Rebellion protesters causing such mayhem. 

All this against a backdrop of miserable weather and shorter, darker days to come.  Halloween could be particularly scary this year.  Thank goodness for Strictly Come Dancing, library books and blogging.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon - colds are the worst! I am also not very excited about the impending cold weather....oh well...take the good and take the bad...right? HUGS - have a great week! Get well soon! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care of yourself, Wendy. Colds are harder to shake the older we get. I don't keep up with the politics here, let alone there, but am always happy to read your opinions on BREXIT. Take care now! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much going on around us and it's so easy to get overwhelmed by it all, isn't it? Hope you're feeling better, and I agree, thank goodness for the little things we can spend time on that give us a little reprieve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a cold just makes you feel miserable. I seem surrounded by people with the winter vomitting virus at the moment so am hoping I don't pick that one up. Although watching the news these days is having the same effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope you don't come down with that!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes.. the same over here. A political mess. LOL
    What is Strictly Come Dancing?

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.