Tuesday 2 April 2024

A - Z Challenge 2024 - B is for Beer


#AtoZChallenge 2024 badge B

This year I'm blogging about my local area.  Having lived in Forest Gate in East London for 36 years (and for my husband 65 years!) moving was a big deal for us.  But we've been in Highams Park since September 2020 so I feel I know enough about it now to fill out 26 posts! 

We've only moved just over 5 miles but we didn't know this area at all before moving here.  Although of course we did have a good look around when looking for a house and there were a number of things we wanted on our check list.

One thing Hubby needed was somewhere to get decent beer.  Fortunately we have several pubs within walking distance.

In the main part of the town is the County Arms.  This is quite a typical English pub.  It doesn't always attract the best clientele but it has an upstairs room that's the venue for regular jazz sessions and they also have live bands playing at the weekend.  Hubby likes the jazz, not that impressed with the beer.  


Further along the road from there is the Royal Oak.  This also has accommodation for hire and a restaurant plus a nice sized garden complete with shelter and heaters - a must for English weather!  We've eaten there a few times and will go again.


In the opposite direction from our house there are 2 more pubs, The Larkshall and The Dove.  Both were undergoing refurbishment when we moved here but have reopened since.  I've only been to the Larkshall but we had a nice meal there.  I've not been to The Dove - it's a bit further to walk - up a hill, but it boasts the largest pub garden in the area.  Hubby has been to The Dove a few times as they host an "Open mic" session which Hubby has played at. 

The Larkshall

I couldn't find a decent image online of The Dove since it was refurbished and renamed (it used to be The Dovecote) - maybe I'll have to take a walk up there and take my own at some point.

One of the things that worried me when we moved was how Hubby would find places to take part in music sessions.  In our old location he played with quite a big group of musicians and singers in a couple of local pubs every week.  Although it's only 5 miles it's a bit tricky to get back there on public transport.  My worries were unfounded.  Hubby attends various Open Mic sessions in different venues that he can get to easily by bus or train from here and has made a nice group of new friends.  He loves it.

But, going back to beer.  In our town we are fortunate to have a pub selling beers from micro breweries that recently won an award - The CAMRA (Campaign for real ale) East London and City Pub of the Year 2023.)  It is a tiny place really - occupying a shop front and with a small outdoor seating area but Hubby likes the atmosphere there, and of course the beer.  I have been known to join him as they also serve wine.  They also close at a sensible time so it doesn't end up being a late night out.  Oops nearly forgot to say, it's called The Stag and Lantern.


With the choice of venues for beer and a wine bar, all within walking distance of our house, Highams Park had another tick on the check list!

Would nice places to get a decent drink be on your checklist when moving house?


5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Never been overseas, and it will be like taking a visit :) My husband likes to try different kinds of beer, and would love to do a pub crawl over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pub buildings but I'm not much of a beer drinker. Could I get a manhattan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe it's 4 years since you moved. It is an interesting theme for your A to Z challenge this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I don't drink anymore, but it would be nice to have something approaching a nightlife. Plus I like the idea of live jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reminded of watching Escape to the Country and the husbands always wanting a pub within walking distance. It seems your hubby has that covered!! I enjoyed your "B" Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.