Saturday 13 April 2024

A - Z Challenge 2024 - L is for Library

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter L

This year I'm blogging about my local area.  

My area?  Highams Park which is in the borough of Waltham Forest in North East London, (UK) a little known place that nestles between Chingford and Woodford that most people only come to if they have a specific reason to - if not we usually get bypassed.  Suits us.

Having lived in Forest Gate in East London for 36 years (and for my husband 65 years!) moving was a big deal for us.  But we've been in Highams Park since September 2020 so I feel I know enough about it now to fill out 26 posts! 

We've only moved just over 5 miles but we didn't know this area at all before moving here.  Although of course we did have a good look around when looking for a house and there were a number of things we wanted on our check list.

A library that I could walk to was high on my list and thankfully we were able to tick that box - I can walk to the library in 10 minutes.


Known as Hale End Library it is one of 8 libraries in the borough.  

It has a computer area and 2 community rooms available for hire and they also have a range of activities going on - especially in school holidays.  It certainly meets my needs and if I can't find a book in my library I can reserve it from a large network of libraries.

It's closed on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays but open from 10-6 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 10-4 on Saturdays so plenty of time for browsing.

I love my library - I love reading!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, visiting from the A to Z. I have never lived anywhere longer than 8 years in my life, I am jealous of your 36 years. Also a library lover, ours is situated in the entrance area of the gym so it open every week day from 6am so visits are often combined:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I would like to visit England. I have been on a binge watching Midsomer Murders--such lovely areas they filmed in. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite buildings in any town (or maybe second to thrift shops) are the libraries! I hoped to work in one, and got the training. It didn't work out, but I did enjoy volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love our library too. Our county has several and we live closest to the main large library. We can get books from other systems, too. So helpful!
    36 years in one place? Wow! We were in our county in SoCal for 13 years-- a record for both of us. May you have another 36 years in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm grateful that ours is right up the street! Fun fact, my very first real job was as a page in that library. Worked there all through high school putting books away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a library card and have never used it. Shame on me. How nice that your library is so close!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.