Friday 12 April 2024

A - Z Challenge 2024 - K is for Knitting Group

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter K

This year I'm blogging about my local area.  

My area?  Highams Park which is in the borough of Waltham Forest in North East London, (UK) a little known place that nestles between Chingford and Woodford that most people only come to if they have a specific reason to - if not we usually get bypassed.  Suits us.

Having lived in Forest Gate in East London for 36 years (and for my husband 65 years!) moving was a big deal for us.  But we've been in Highams Park since September 2020 so I feel I know enough about it now to fill out 26 posts! 

We've only moved just over 5 miles but we didn't know this area at all before moving here.  Although of course we did have a good look around when looking for a house and there were a number of things we wanted on our check list.

Moving into a new area during the pandemic didn't make it easy for getting to know people or making friends.  Once restrictions eased I looked to find ways of meeting people and one way I found was to join a local knitting group.

I'm not a prolific knitter by any means but I do enjoy it and I have found a nice group of people that meet twice a month in the evenings.  It's not a big group but everyone is friendly and we have done a couple of trips to knitting shows.

We also did a yarn sale recently combined with a cake sale as a fund raiser which was fun.

Originally we met in a an upstairs room of the local pub but now we meet in the newly refurbished rooms in the station building that are available to hire.  If everyone turns up there is just about room for us!

Our WhatsApp group used to be Knit and Natter but now it's the Railway Ravellers.  

My current WIP is a blanket from knitted squares - I've made all the squares and now I'm working on the edging.  Then I just have to sew it all together!

6 comments:

  1. Mary stopped when Covid hit and hasn't picked up needles since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I would enjoy. Like you I don't do much knitting these days but I am nearing the completion of a shawl/blanket for the arrival of a grandchild next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it would make a good beginning to a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never could get knitting down. I can crochet but only simple things.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knitting is something I tried to learn, but just couldn't. Like Janet, I can crochet, and trying to use two needles at once confused me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like Janet, above. I can crochet but just can't get those two needles working together to knit. Your twice-a-month knitting group sounds like fun! Happy weekend, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.