Thursday 26 April 2018

W is Weightlifting

2018 #AtoZchallenge participation badge
For my A-Z challenge this year I'm taking a look at sports. Olympic ones, ancient ones, weird ones and some just non sporting sports.  I'm not athletic or even particularly fit but there are some sports I enjoy watching and in composing my posts I've come across many that I'd never heard of.  Join me in a sporting journey from the comfort of your couch (or wherever else you're reading this) and thanks for stopping by.

Well there are actually several W sports in the Olympics including Weightlifting.  I'm not a fan.  Most of the time it looks as if the contestants are in absolute agony.  I appreciate that lots of sporting events stretch competitors to their limits but watching them lifting those weights I'm always worried that they will really hurt themselves if it goes wrong.  I'm also not a gym goer so the only weight I'm lifting at the moment is my grandson Nathan.  He's almost 10 kg now so lifting him up and down if my work out for the days I'm with him.

There are also two types of Wrestling in the Olympics, Freestyle and Greco-Roman.  With Freestyle pretty much anything goes within the rules but Greco-Roman is limited to using the upper body.  Who would have known?  My memories of wrestling are watching it on TV on a Saturday and it was so obviously fixed.  Something else I no longer watch.

My favourite W sport has to be walking.  But I quite like the sound of Wallyball (Volleyball played on a squash court) or you could try tossing a Waboba, a ball that bounces on water or, if you need a few logs for your open fire you could always try competitive Woodchopping!

Is walking your limit too or are you more energetic?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of watching weightlifting either - it all seems so painful. Walking is about my limit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was wrestling in the Olympics! I don't care for weightlifting either. Those muscle-bound men and women are not at all attractive (to me).

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.