Saturday 28 March 2020

#SoCS - 28/3/20 - Beside me

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is “beside you.” Write about whatever is beside you when you read this prompt. Not when you sit down to write, but whatever is beside you right now. Take note of it if you think you might forget. Enjoy!

These prompts are provided by Linda - go here to check out all the info and see who else is playing. 

Well I sat down to find the prompt and do my post at the same time so beside me at the moment are:

My phone
My iPad
Remotes for the TV

everyday essentials in this crazyiest of times.

Here in London we are in Lock Down.  We can only go out to shop for essentials (infrequently) for medical needs and to exercise (walking/cycling/running) once a day.  Being able to keep in touch with the outside world is vital.

This has been our life for a week now.  (The lockdown came into force Tuesday morning but we had been keeping inside since Sunday.)  It's a strange existence.

I've heard many people say it will be a good time to catch up on some box sets, or do spring cleaning or start a crafting project of some other project that they've been meaning to do for ages and never had the time for.

Sounds great.  So why have I been at home for a week and done none of that?  It's hard not to spend hours listening to the news.  It's also easy to spend hours on the phone particularly on WhatsApp chat goups.  We have our own family group, an extended family group and now one of my cousin's family have set up a group for doing some educational projects with all the grandchildren now they are not at school.  Following all what's going on is time consuming and you don't want to be left behind.

Yesterday there were a few quiz type things doing the rounds which had us all trying to compete with one another.  These always cause a lot of banter.  It's easy to see how time disappears.

It's good that time is passing - as one person noted somewhere (probably on Facebook - another time gobbler) every day we get through is one day closer to coming out the other side.  Or something like that.  I've probably misquoted it but I'm sure you get the idea.
 


8 comments:

  1. I think you got the gist of what the person said, and it's a good thing to remember: this isn't going to last forever.

    Mary and I rarely watch the news, perferring to be uninformed rather than misinformed, as Mark Twain would say. I check how many have the disease and how many, sadly, have succumbed to it once a day. I've been avoiding social media as much as possible and staying clear of the arguments that ensue there. In short, we're taking care of each other and not allowing the media to whip us into a frenzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inboxes exploding with messages makes one overwhelmed for sure. Hope you get to squeeze in a walk every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're managing to walk every day thanks.

      Delete
  3. That quote/mis-quote is good to remember... we will come out on the other end of this!! All we can do is what we can do. Deep cleaning sounds good but I find myself being lazy in bed until the cats make me get up to feed them! And even then I will sometimes lay back down. Bad habit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is hard to find motivation some days. And yes we will get through this.

      Delete
  4. Why feel guilty for enjoying your family and friends? Love is what we're here for not superimposed guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel guilty about enjoying my family I just don't want to get to the end of all this time at home and regret not making better use of it.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.