Tuesday 24 May 2016

This too shall pass! 24/5/16



This time last week I was undergoing a minor surgical op.  I won’t bore you with details but it was all done in a day although it was a general anaesthetic so all should be well.  But post op recovery has been much more painful than I anticipated.  Naturally I was given pain medication and antibiotics but after two days on co-codamol and feeling REALLY unwell I switched to ordinary paracetamol.  The feeling of being about to pass out disappeared but the pain was not reduced.   

 

I don’t actually like taking too much medication.  I’m allergic to two main antibiotic groups so always wary when I get prescribed an alternative.  Fortunately there didn’t seem to be any side effects and I’m now done with them.

 

It made me very aware how debilitating constant pain is.  I have done very little over the past week apart from amuse myself with Facebook, stupid internet games, some reading and lots of TV catch up.  I couldn’t be bothered to carry out anything that required concentration.  I didn’t even do my regular blog posts or even answer comments left for me.

 

I was reassured by seeing that recovery could take at least two weeks (not “a few days of discomfort” as was discussed at my appointment) and am hopeful that feeling slightly improved the last couple of days that it won’t take the 3-6 weeks that some cases do.

 

Blogging here is a positive step and I did get some chores done today.  Thankfully hubby has been very supportive.  The other annoying thing is that I could have been in Cornwall with my cousin this week, relaxing in a hot tub but there’s no way I could make that long journey at present. 

 

My Fitbit ran totally out of charge so I’m not the only one that needs recharging.

 

But this shall pass.  Others are not so fortunate.  I’ve had several bits of bad news over the last few weeks concerning friends and now family.  Our niece and her partner have spent the last few days in hospital with their 5 month old baby who is not thriving.  We’re all anxiously waiting for test results.  It’s heart-breaking to see such a tiny thing going through this but there are lot of people praying for her.

 

Sometimes you just have to put things into perspective and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this Wendy! Hope you get the pain under control and are on the mend really soon. And prayers for your niece's baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only medics managed our expectations a little better we may be more prepared for the outcome and be able to cope more. I'm glad today that your recovery is on its way. I hope with all my heart that your niece can overcome her problems

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you are going through this. Indeed, doctors do minimize "discomfort" associated with procedures. I had a major operation 6 months ago, but was told the recovery was 8 weeks. Horsefeathers! Here I am, 6 months later, still with days of pain and often weakness. I have taken so much paracetamol that it upsets my stomach and I cannot take NSAIDS. So I am left with a mild opioid drug which I can take once a day, if needed, and sadly most days it is needed. I hope your pain is under control quickly and I will keep your niece in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you have been through worse than me. I'm improving.

      Delete
  4. I wondered where you been....keeping you and your family in prayer, Wendy. Recovery is no joke, so please take it easy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for all the troubles. Please count on my prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Terri. Prayers definitely still needed for the baby.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.