Monday 6 April 2015

A - Z Challenge - E is for emotion



My theme for this challenge is family and relations.

Emotion “instinctive feeling or reaction”

Yes I know that’s not a family member or a relation but emotions often run high when dealing with either of these.

I am quite an emotional person.  I can get upset quite easily and it doesn’t take much to bring me to tears in certain circumstances.  However, I’m also very good at bottling up my emotions.  I’m quite easy going and people who know me well know that if I display an outburst of temper it’s usually because I’ve been pushed way too far.  I’m more likely to stew on things.  I’m also guilty of wanting my husband to work out how I’m feeling about things rather than having a conversation.  Of course this is totally unfair because he’s not a mind reader.  (Heaven forbid – I wouldn’t want him reading some of my thoughts!) 

I think being brought up very much like an only child, due to the age gaps between my brothers and me, has made me quite self-reliant.  I hate confrontation and I’m usually the peacemaker in arguments.  As I’ve got older I’ve learned not to dwell on things as much, recognising that sometimes you just have to let go and move on.  

I’m also quite calm and practical, especially in a crisis.  My husband had a serious accident some years back and I was notified by the police and had to make arrangements to travel down to Dover and get someone to keep an eye on the boys.  I can remember being very calm and thinking about what I’d need in an overnight bag, change for the car park and so on.  I had to hold it together for a long time that evening but when I did finally give in to all the pressure it wasn’t a pretty sight! 
 
I can also be very patient.  I love solving puzzles and will carry on until I’ve finished something.  I’m definitely an “if at first you don’t succeed….” sort of person.  I’m definitely not a “love everyone” person either but I don’t waste time on negative emotions.  Revenge and hate don’t rear their heads in my life.  One thing that will get me cross is bad manners.   I was brought up to understand that good manners are important, they cost nothing and can take you a long way.  Something I’ve hopefully instilled into my children.

Of course I’ve only touched on a few emotions here and reading back over the post I note that I’ve not mentioned positive things like happiness and joy.  I often struggle with being a “glass half empty” mentality but I have had lots of happiness and joy in my life.  I’m working on emphasising the positive more often.

In the spirit of this being an A-Z challenge with regards to emotions I would say that I can be:

Affectionate, Blue, Compassionate, Doubtful, Fortunate, Gentle, Humble, Intimidated, Jumpy, Kind, Loving, Melancholy, Nurturing, Optimistic, Pessimistic, Questioning, Remorseful, Shy, Tearful, Uncertain, Vulnerable, anXious – you try finding one that starts with X Y or Z.

Yes I purposely left E until last for today – empathetic.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog and I am reminded as I read it just how alike we are in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with glass half empty as well. But it's good to try.

    And as for the above blog post, I am SO GLAD you're enjoying this challenge!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Empathy is so important. I'm not overly emotional. I'm a pretty steady soul for few ups or downs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny, i did "Emotion" for E as well, before reading that you did, too. Reading your post I could relate to a lot of it. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.