Wednesday 26 June 2019

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my birthday.  I'm officially old!  I've qualified for free travel but I won't be getting my pension any time soon thanks to the way the pension age for women was increased to be the same as men and then increased again.  (I think I get it when I'm 66 but by the time I get there I'll probably have to wait until I'm 70.)

Yes it's a big O birthday but I've been in denial about it.  No party, no fuss.  Hubby and I will celebrate with a meal at a nice restaurant this evening and then I'm spending the weekend with all the family and grandkids.

Of course it's just a number and somebody tried to tell me 60 is the new 40 to which I replied, tell that to my body.  I know that I've always been a glass half empty sort of person and it's hard to change the habits of a lifetime, particularly when I know I've got less years ahead of me than behind.  BUT I am enjoying life, becoming a grandmother has added a whole new dimension and even if I can't always keep up with the little ones I love spending time with them. 

I'm trying to be more positive.  I want to be around to see the Grandchildren grow up.  Our family is our legacy.  Hubby and I actually sat down at the weekend and talked about changes we could make to our lifestyles to ensure we give ourselves the best chance at that.  I think I'm more on board with it than hubby, especially when I mentioned reducing our alcohol intake.  Although I'm not advocating changes that would make us miserable.  Hubby can be enough of a grumpy old man without my help! 

There are a few things I've learned along the way to this point in my life.  Such as what's important, (family) and what's not (having an immaculate house to impress visitors for starters) and also that it's ok to please myself, saying no to things I don't want to do without feeling guilty.  I know that I should also be trying to say yes to more things too.  That's still a work in progress even at this advanced age!

I'm going to view this birthday as just one more than the last one and not worry about how many still to come. 

I've asked for a garden bench from Hubby's family so I can sit back, relax and smell the roses - mine are starting to bloom.







2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Wendy!!! I so can relate to what you have said, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!! I threw myself a birthday party for my 60th. Joe isn't a party person and told me to just go ahead! It was fun. Enjoy your special dinner and your weekend with those loved ones!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.