Sunday 16 June 2019

Review: Little Liar

Little Liar Little Liar by Lisa Ballantyne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The accused
While Nick Dean is enjoying an evening at home with his family, he is blissfully unaware that one of his pupils has just placed an allegation of abuse against him - and that Nick's imminent arrest will see the start of everything he knows and loves disintegrating around him.
Because, mud sticks, right? No matter if you're innocent or guilty?
The accuser
When Angela Furness decides that enough is enough - she hates her parents, hates her friends and, most of all, despises what has recently happened at school - she does the only thing she knows will get her attention: calls the police. But Angela is unaware that the shocking story she is about to tell will see her life begin to topple.

Because, once you've said what you've said, there's no way back, right? No matter if you're innocent or guilty?
 
In a nail-biting ride of 'he said/she said', Little Liar illustrates the fine line between guilt and innocence, and shows that everyone has their secrets, even those we ought to trust the most...


I think the fact that I read this in one day speaks for itself. It seems wrong to say I enjoyed it considering the subject matter (the effects of an allegation of sexual assault) but the story is well told and the characters have depth. It's a good debut although I did feel the ending could have been better. I'm not saying the ending needed to be different, just that it felt a little bit rushed compared to the rest of the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.