Friday 1 February 2019

Friday's Fave Five 1/2/19


How is it Friday again?!

This week has flown by so it's good to sit back and think of my blessings and join in with Susanne over at Living to Tell the Story.

1.  An unexpected lunch treat.  We babysat Grandson Rory last Saturday and when his parents returned my DIL had a vegetable pie with her that she'd made on her baking course which we all shared for lunch and it was delicious.

2.  Organised clothes.  I spent time on Sunday tidying my drawers and wardrobe.  Yes I've been watching the Marie Kondo programme on Netflix and although I'm not sold on the sparking joy and thanking everything I get rid of, her ideas on folding and storing do make sense to me so I was pleased with my efforts.  Now I just have to keep things tidy.

3.  Lunch with friends.  It was my turn to host our "Ladies Lunch" today.  It meant being organised and planning ahead because I was babysitting Nathan yesterday and stayed over at my daughter's house.  Fortunately everything turned out well, dips and crudites to start, a lamb casserole with potatoes, leeks and apricots for the main and a chocolate tart to finish.  As usual, I forgot to take photos but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

4.  Patience.  Babysitting Nathan last night was not an easy task.  It's rare for his Mummies to go out together for the evening so although he is very used to having me look after him during the day, bedtime is a different scenario.  After they left, at about 5 pm, he got really upset.  None of my distraction techniques worked for long.  He would be okay for a short time but then he would get upset again.  It was a long evening but I did finally get him to sleep in his buggy.   But I needed all my patience to keep him entertained and get through his bedtime routines and asleep.

5.  Safe travelling today.  I stayed at my daughter's last night as they had forecast snow overnight.  But of course I had to be back to host lunch today.  It was a bit of a worry as to how bad the snow might be and how travel could be affected.  I decided using public transport was probably the best way and fortunately it didn't let me down.  We did get snow but not as much as they seemed to be predicting earlier in the week but I wouldn't have wanted to drive home in it late last night.

I'm hoping for a quiet weekend now!

10 comments:

  1. I better read not n°2 that makes me feel guilty ! That's awful for the nerves when a baby doesn't want to sleep ! I remember my son vaccuum cleaning with Toby in a bag on his chest, because only like that Toby would fall asleep !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nathan spent a lot of time in a sling when he was little as does Noah now.

      Delete
  2. nice list of blessings!! You know what's funny? My mother (God rest her soul) was so into purging and taught me and my 3 younger sisters well in the art of clearning out closets, cupboards etc. I do it twice a year LONG before this Netflix show became a thing. Sparking joy is an odd concept isn't it? I look at it this way: if i haven't worn it or used it in the last 12 months, out it goes. We no longer buy books unless we plan on using them for Bible study groups (I'm a small group leader) or in my daughters' case for their college studies. We go to the library to borrow all the latest novels, etc. and I do buy my husband his fave genre once in a while like for birthday or xmas (science fiction) if his fave authors release a new one. but then he gives to relatives or friends. I have the minimalist look going on right now and I love it! OH..i do collect hiking books or books related to my mountains (the Adirondacks).
    Doesn't it feel good though to get rid of clutter and give to the less fortunate? we bring our old clothing to a place that recycles them for inner city families. It's a good feeling.
    happy weekend!! Hopefully your grandson will fall sleep better for you next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith. I find disposing of the things after the hardest bit. Finding a charity shop that wants them, getting to the recycle centre/dump etc but yes it's good to get it out of the house.

      Delete
  3. I have not read Marie Kondo or seen her program, but I have read lots of people's discussions of them enough to have gotten what you mentioned about speaking joy and thanking objects. I feel the same way you do about that, I think. Plus I am wondering why so many people give such clout to someone who lives far away and knows nothing about them, their personalities, or their lives. But I hadn't thought about gleaning from her ideas of storage, so the program may be worth a look for that. It does feel good to go through and sort and organize. Glad the lunch went well! And that the snow wasn't as bad as expected and the traveling was safe. Some times with children are harder than others - glad you were able to handle it ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Yeah the storage methods make sense but I got more about that from the programmes than the book.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely list of blessings, Wendy. The meal you served at your Ladies Luncheon sounds so delicious...especially the casserole! And CHOCOLATE tart for dessert...oh my!

    I'm sorry that the little guy was so upset when you stayed with him the other night. Little ones do enjoy that sense of security of regular routines...especially when bedtime is involved...with their parents. A change in that must be quite stressful for them as it was for your grandson.

    Glad that the public transportation worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna. Yes he definitely doesn't like disruption to the routine.

      Delete
  5. Fuzzy babies are not easy to care for. I'm thankful with you for the patience you had with him.
    Those pies sound so yummy. When I was little, chicken pot pies were a favorite of mine. I think it's the crusts. :)
    Glad the snow was minimal! Enjoy a safe and happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willow. I definitely have more patience with my grandchildren than I think I did with my own babies.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.