Wednesday 27 February 2019

Wednesday Medley - 27/2/19

These questions are provided by Terri at Your Friend from Florida.

Pop over there to join in or to check out who else is taking part.

 

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY

We continue with February’s heart-shaped and red theme by observing National Strawberry Day on February 27. These juicy, sweet berries can brighten up any dish and are delicious all on their own.
1.  Given all that information* on this 🍓National Strawberry Day🍓, do you have a favorite recipe for strawberries?  Would you share it with us?
Shock horror - I'm not a big strawberry fan!  I do like them but I don't love them.  I'd either make a sponge flan with them or more likely an Eton Mess (crushed meringue, strawberries and whipped cream). 
Image courtesy of BBC Good Food
 
2.  Some people think the smaller, northern varieties are sweeter than the larger berries that grow in the south and in California.  What are your thoughts on that?
Never really checked where the strawberries were grown.  I get them from the supermarket.  But I have a sweet tooth so I'm guessing I'd prefer the ones from the north.
3.  There is a Strawberry Festival right here in Plant City, Florida (next town over from Lakeland) and it is a huge event that lasts 11 days with headliner acts each day.  Have you ever been to a Strawberry Festival?
No.
4.  Strawberries are grown in every US state.  Have you ever grown them in your garden?
I have tried but wasn't that successful.  Might have another go this year.
5.  Strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside, and technically it is not a berry but rather a fruit, and would you be surprised to learn that strawberries belong to the rose family?  Do you have any strawberry trivia to share with us?
Afraid not, although I did know about the rose connection.
6.  Tell us something random about your week!!
We were with Grandson Nathan on Monday this week instead of Tuesday and it's confusing me.  Feels like today should be Thursday and it's only Wednesday but being retired it doesn't really matter!

* see Terri's blog for the full information on National Strawberry Day

9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful thing - retirement! I dream of living long enough to enjoy days without scheduled work! Enjoy watching the Grandson - what a blessing! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, retirement is all I thought/hoped it would be and more. I'm with you, strawberries are not my favorite fruit/flower, but we only eat them fresh. Since we are off sugars, these are off the table as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ready for the day I can say I'm retired!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate being so confused as to which day of the week it is! We had a couple days off last week so I'm a little lost too. I've never seen that dessert before - it looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining the Medley today! That strawberry dessert looks really refreshing and delicious! Yes... retirement! Except now I am working again, albeit part time. I miss sleeping late!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not retired, but I feel the same way in the summer when school is out and I am home. I could care less what day it is and I love them all. Monday is not bad. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also looking forward to retirement....at least I was before this cancer scare came about. Still going ahead with the plan according to God's timetable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) I had to chuckle about you and strawberries. Blackberries are my favorite berry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A strawberry day in February ?? I can get them on the big market in Brussels and they come directly from Morocco !But here in shops it's far too early. I love strawberries and my favourite preparation is just with whipped cream, nothing else ! For me it's the same when the routine changes for one day. We had scrabble last week on Wednesday and I always thought it was Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.