Saturday 10 August 2019

Drumroll please! (And August Challenge day 10)

Why the need for a drumroll?  Well according to my post list, this will be the 1000th blog post here on blogger!

Goodness.  How can so much waffle come out of one person?

Interestingly I have just been scrolling back through some posts (I was looking for a picture) and it was good to revisit some memories.  It wasn't until I came back to prepare this post that I realised it was going to be #1000.

Although it's just a number (as I keep telling myself having had a big 0 birthday this year).

I was looking for a picture of an outfit as that's the prompt for today's August Photo Challenge.  Sorry but you're not getting a selfie of my current outfit which is still my nightdress!  Time flies when you're blogging.  I was up before 8 but I put the kitchen to rights first, then made some tea and then sat down with my laptop. (And I'm still here lol)

I'll get dressed at some point and the most important thing about the outfit for the day will be comfort!  That's what matters these days.  Gone are the working days when I had to look smart thank goodness.  Now I can wear what I please.

But to fulfill the challenge for the day here is an outfit:


It was the outfit I had for my eldest son's wedding back in 2016.  Funny what you find when scrolling back through blogs!  The shoes did not make it through the whole day and I don't think I've worn them since.  We're doing a jumble trail (yard sale) again in September.  I think they will be included in my items to sell.

I also found the post I wrote just after the brexit referendum.  It's depressing to think that over 3 years on and we've still not left and are no clearer on what Brexit will actually mean for this country.  The political situation just gets more farcical by the day.

I understand that, as a country, we (although not me) voted to leave and that decision should be respected.  However, I don't feel we had enough information at the time to make an informed decision.  Sometimes we have to admit to making mistakes and retrace our steps.  Unfortunately it seems unlikely that will happen (as in a 2nd referendum) and frankly if it did and we were to remain in the EU I don't think we would hold as much power within it as we've had before.  The other 27 countries must be sick of us by now.

Right now it's looks like we are definitely heading for leaving on the 31st October without a deal.  The trouble is most of us don't understand what that will actually mean in the day to day scheme of things.  How will it affect us?  Will there be issues with getting goods into shops, continuity of medical supplies etc?  I've just been reading this article by the BBC on this.  Might need to stock up on canned fruit and veg.  And not travel anywhere.

Of course we will survive this.  Hopefully in time to come we might even be able to look back and laugh about it.  But right now it doesn't seem funny at all.  And while we might have laughed at Boris Johnson in the past with all his gaffes and the jokes made about him, we not laughing about him now.

I think we just have to hope that in this current game of calling one's bluff, the EU blinks first!

6 comments:

  1. What a pretty dress...love the shoes...

    I think the UK will get some since of sovereignty back once Brexit finally gets implemented. I would never presume to tell another country what is right or wrong. I just wonder, did the UK like being beholden to the EU? The EU sure seems like they control a lot. At least, that is the story I gather from reading all this. ANYWAYS...I hope you have a lovely Saturday my friend...and please don't take my comment on Brexit and your country as being rude or unthoughtful. I think there is a lot of stories going around on this, some true and some not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offence taken at your comment Linda. We all have the right to our opinions. Brexit is such a difficult issue. Yes there were some things that weren't great about the EU but we actually had a fair amount of influence when we were part of it. Once we exit it's going to be hard to compete with a bloc of 27 countries and I think especially now after we've made such a mess of leaving. I do think with the state of the world at the moment we need to be trying to pull together rather than tearing things apart.

      Delete
    2. Well said, Wendy. You really just explained the situation to me (us) and I thank you for that.

      Delete
  2. I love that dress but couldn't take two steps in those (beautiful) shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty dress and at one time I think I could have managed those shoes but not anymore. Sometimes I really wonder what the world is coming to and when can we get back to some kind of normal? Good luck over there. I'd say come to America but...

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress and the shoes. But I haven't walked in heels for abut 30 years. I'd probably hurt myself now if I tried.

    It seems like polictical unrest if the story of the day! I can't say I understand the Brixit issue although I have had it explained to me more than once. And I can't explain how we got the President we got here in the US either. All I can hope for is that it ALL settles down and sanity returns again.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.