Saturday 30 May 2020

Review - Holy Island - L J Ross

Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Detective Chief Inspector Ryan retreats to Holy Island seeking sanctuary when he is forced to take sabbatical leave from his duties as a homicide detective. A few days before Christmas, his peace is shattered and he is thrust back into the murky world of murder when a young woman is found dead amongst the ancient ruins of the nearby Priory.

When former local girl Dr Anna Taylor arrives back on the island as a police consultant, old memories swim to the surface making her confront her difficult past. She and Ryan struggle to work together to hunt a killer who hides in plain sight, while pagan ritual and small-town politics muddy the waters of their investigation.

This was the first DCI Ryan book I've read and I wasn't disappointed. It looks like part of the thread running through this story will be revisited in future books and I will be interested to see how that pans out. It kept me turning the pages although some of it was a bit predictable.

View all my reviews


1 comment:

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.