Monday 12 April 2021

Life in Lockdown - J is for Jabs - A-Z Challenge 2021

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter J

Click here for the A-Z blog to find out more about this challenge. 

To date Hubby and I have both had our first Covid vaccinations.  We’ve both had the AstraZeneca vaccine and fortunately we didn’t suffer any serious side effects.  Hubby has a spell in the evening where he felt very shivery.  I had a sore arm for a few days but nothing major. 

We’re now looking forward to having the second jab hopefully fairly soon.

I know that some people are nervous about getting the vaccine, especially following the recent reports of blood clots.  Having looked at the odds it isn’t giving me cause for concern.  The medications I take to keep my blood pressure under control all have various risks but that’s the price to pay to avoid having a stroke.  The very small risks attached to the vaccine weighed up against the risks of being seriously ill or even dying from Covid made it an easy decision for me.

Of course there is the worry that the approval for these vaccines has been rushed and does that mean that the appropriate checks and balances are in place?  I believe they are.  I think we all owe gratitude to the scientists that must have worked so hard to get all these vaccines in place.  I’m sure some of them have probably worked, lived and slept in their labs to provide us with a glimmer of hope in what has been a very dark year.

I know that many people still believe, based on information we’ve been given, that Covid is no worse than a dose of flu.  Well I’ve had a dose of flu and it took a month to recover.  Many people who’ve had Covid are still recovering.  Many haven’t lived to tell the tale.  I know which I’d rather have. 

Thankfully the vaccines and treatments that have been found to work on Covid are bringing death numbers down.  I don’t think it’s ever going to be eradicated and we will probably have to rely on annual vaccines to keep things under control.  Hopefully as more vaccines come on stream the programme can be spread worldwide and we can look forward to being able to travel again.

Today saw the next stage of restrictions being lifted here in England.  Some of the things allowed to re-open today are non- essential shops, personal care services, (yay I can get my hair cut!) and outdoor hospitality but my favourite has to be libraries!  I’m so looking forward to returning the books I took out back in September and getting some new ones.  Doesn’t take much to please me.


4 comments:

  1. Our oldest daughter does not want to get the vaccine because she thinks they made it too fast and that not much is known about residual side effects but I am not worried about that. If it means we can start doing some normal things again, I'm all for it. We were able to go to a Giants baseball game this weekend and it felt so good!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sentiments entirely. All medication carries a risk. For me the Astra Zeneca is a small risk compared to contracting Covid 19. I had my 2nd one yesterday and was told to expect more of a reaction than after the first. Have to be honest I had a feverish night but feel good to go this morning. I am reading all your A to Z posts but don't always have time to comment. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband received both shots earlier in the year (Pfizer), and I got my second vaccine a week ago (Moderna). I told our daughter (who isn't sure if she'll get the vaccine or not) that at my age, even in 10 years of some weird symptom develops because of having the vaccine, I won't know the difference, I'll just chalk it up to another ache or pain that comes with aging, "Well, that's new. Oh well." hahaha!

    Reel Focus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the shots, Wendy. I have had both of mine, with the second one in February. I only had a sore arm from both of them. I get vaccinated each year for flu. I've had the pneumonia vaccine, the shingles vaccine, and will continue to get them all as necessary. I am happy that some of your restrictions are being lifted again!! Good news! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.