Tuesday 13 April 2021

Life in Lockdown - K is for Kindle - A-Z Challenge 2021

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter K 

Click here for the A-Z blog to find out more about this challenge.

I don’t actually have a Kindle but I use the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone.  Personally I prefer a real book and since I’ve been retired I’ve been making good use of my library.  Then….lockdown.  No more libraries.  To be fair they have offered a pick and collect service at certain times and even delivery in some cases but I didn’t actually take advantage of that.  Instead I made use of my Kindle.

I usually look for the special offers and the 99p books, there are plenty of them, but I’ve also bought others that have been full price.  After all I saved a lot of money on getting my hair done since lockdown so it was easy to justify expense on books.

I actually typed I made GOOD use of my Kindle originally but that wouldn’t actually be true.  I’ve actually struggled with reading during the lockdown.  I’ve had some good spells and if you checkout my Goodreads page I actually read 73 books in 2020, 3 more than 2019 and 35 were on Kindle.  But none of them were what I would call challenging books.  Some of them were chosen for a book club but none of them were really difficult reads.  I definitely opted for books that were easy to read and enjoyable.

The stupid thing is that lockdown actually gave me so much time.  And yet I can’t honestly say I made the best of use of it.  I certainly wasn’t motivated to take up new hobbies, create things and so on like some people did.

I definitely retreated behind the front door.

But I’m digressing, or waffling, as usual.  I’m supposed to be writing about a Kindle.  Which I don’t actually have.  The app works well though so although I’d probably struggle to read in the sun on my phone or iPad I don’t feel the need to actually get a real Kindle.  Of course I’m not likely to sit in the sun reading anyway.  I prefer to sit in the shade.  I’m not one for sunbathing which is probably just as well given the restrictions on foreign travel that don’t look like being relaxed any time soon.  But of course if we could travel, even within the UK, relying on Kindle is a lot easier than throwing a pile of books into my suitcase.

I’ve actually read all the books I have on my app at the moment but I’m currently reading a real book – Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore.  This was chosen for me – I was gifted a 3 month subscription to a book service that picks a book for you each month which was a really appropriate present for someone like me who loves to read.


3 comments:

  1. I do the same as you. I don't have a Kindle either but I have the app. Sometimes a writer will offer a free book on Kindle Unlimited so I'll start a trial membership, read the book and then cancel the membership. I like to hold the book in my hand and turn the pages. I didn't read as much last year either, so you are not alone in that.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Kindle and usually only download the freebies. They are mostly easy reads and Cozy Mysteries so not difficult at all. I actually get tired of them sometimes because they are such easy reads. I enjoyed your "K"!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had a number of Kindles and find that the app works just as well, if not better.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.