Friday 9 April 2021

Life in Lockdown - H is for Hubby - A-Z Challenge 2021

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter H 

Click here for the A-Z blog to find out more about this challenge.  

Definitely winging it today.  It's almost 9 pm and I'm only just getting to do this post and I really ought to have given it a bit more thought given the importance of the subject.

Hubby!


We've been married for 36 years and I still love him to bits.  I'm sure all our kids would agree that he's a great Dad and judging by the welcome he gets from the Grandkids he's not a bad Grandpa either.

He wasn't very good at the dating game though.  We were on our 3rd date before I was actually sure he was taking me out.   You'd think with 6 sisters he'd be comfortable around women but he was quite shy when I first met him.  As he's got older though he's become much more outgoing and comfortable in different settings.

He's a wannabe band member - he loves playing his guitar and enjoys singing.  I enjoy the guitar playing, not so much the singing.

He's an accountant but also now works as a civil servant.  He's been part retired for a while and will retire fully at the end of this month.  The lockdown has well prepared me for having him home full time.  We haven't killed each other yet and we've spent quite a lot of time doing our own thing and also lots of time out walking together or watching some TV together.  Moving house also gave us a lot of things to do.

Of course he's been working from home during the lockdown so it really has been a taste of what retirement will be like but hopefully as our restrictions continue to lift we'll be able to get out more and see other people and so on.

One of the things I love about him is that he likes cooking and does most of it.  I enjoy cooking for special occasions but the day to day cooking of dinners etc is not one of my favourite things.  So I'm grateful that he likes to cook.  He also actually likes food shopping although of course during the pandemic we've done our shopping online and I've organised that.  Apart from the wine.  I'll fill the (virtual) trolley with the essentials and then he'll browse the wine section.  He does like a glass of wine (or two) with dinner.

He doesn't like DIY though.  He's not really a practical person.  Thankfully we've always been able to afford to get people in when we've need works done although we have managed to put together quite a lot of IKEA furniture over the years.

He enjoys cycling but doesn't do as much these days.  In a way I'm glad as he had quite a nasty accident back in 2005.  He was the subject of a hit and run and suffered a head injury.  It was scary at the time as we didn't know how well he'd recover initially but thankfully he did and the driver of the van that knocked him off his bike handed himself in to the police and was subsequently found guilty of several offences and went to prison.  

One of the things I love about him most though is how supportive he's always been to me.  There have been times when my anxiety and depression haven't made me the easiest person to cope with but he's never let me down and never complained.  

It feels a bit poignant writing this today - the day when Prince Philip died.  I'm not sure we'll get to 70+ years of marriage but I'm looking foward to trying.

8 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post! I am happy to "meet" your hubby through this post!! Joe and I just missed our 36th anniversary (next month). Keep loving that man of yours, and especially because he likes to cook! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be at 37 years this May. It's not easy to stay together so long and I applaud anyone who does. Sounds like you got a good one!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you're halfway to 70 right now! May they all be filled with joy and togetherness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you are on the husband front, I would say. Sorry about Prince Philip. He was a colorful guy as he got older. Didn’t loose his personality to the role he had. I liked him! I know your Queen is a pretty strong woman who has weathered a lot and never seems to lose her way. This loss is big big for her! People married this long usually pass fairly close together. I hope that is not the case for the Queen. She is an amazing woman but this is an awfully big life adjustment. My prayers are for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes Prince Philip certainly didn't always conform to what was expected and it will have been a big blow for the Queen. But she's definitely a tough cookie who I'm sure will cope.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.