Monday 3 April 2023

A-Z Challenge 2023 - B is for Boisterous

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge
a-to-zchallenge.com

This year I'm writing about things connected with Being a Grandparent.  For an introduction to my grandchildren check out my theme reveal here.

Boisterous

Oh my goodness these grandchildren of mine can be boisterous.  2 at a time is manageable, 4 together, in any combination, is a bit challenging but, get all 6 here together and it’s chaos!  They are always so excited to see one another that they definitely get a bit silly, for a while at least.

The layout of our house is such that they can do a “lap” – out of the lounge, into the dining room, through the kitchen and then back into the lounge.  And repeat!  And repeat! And…… you get the picture I’m sure.  A commotion* of grandchildren chasing one another around.  They struggle to open the doors between the lounge and dining room but the other two doors are no match for them.  Even the younger ones can now reach the door handles and, in some cases, if they can’t reach something standing up they are more than capable of finding something they can climb on to reach their target.

The door from the kitchen into the hall and access back into the lounge is a sliding door.  I’m seriously thinking of getting some sort of catch on it to shut down the “lap” but I know it probably wouldn’t deter them.  It might slow them down a bit but not for long.

To make matters worse we don’t have carpets in our house – the only thing that is carpeted is the staircase.  The lounge has a wooden floor and the kitchen and dining areas are tiled.  Not the sort of surfaces you want a child falling and banging their heads on. 

Eventually I would like to get some nice rugs for my lounge but for the moment we have this:


Sometimes I feel I’ve turned my house into a crèche but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

*I looked up what the collective noun for grandchildren was and that word is definitely appropriate not so sure about the one for Grandparents – a Nag, although the grandchildren would probably agree with it, especially when I’m trying to stop them chasing round the lap.

5 comments:

  1. I have my first grandbaby coming in June and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice that the cousins can play together. My kids had few because my sisters all had kids before I did so mine were the youngest and by that time we were living spread apart so didn't see each other often.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN!!! We had those same interlock mats for our boys.
    Carla from the River

    ReplyDelete
  4. These crazy chaotic and 'boisterous' days will end all too soon because the time does fly. It is great that you have a race-way for the kids!! It is fun that they will remember and cherish as the years go by. I love that the cousins all have fun together!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. No carpeting or rugs makes those running feet even louder! I have a class of 16 preschoolers, so I understand noise and chaos!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.