Friday 7 April 2023

A - Z Challenge 2023 - F is for Favourites

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge
a-to-zchallenge.com

This year I'm writing about things connected with Being a Grandparent.  For an introduction to my grandchildren check out my theme reveal here.

Favourites

Nanny does not do favourites. 

Even with my own children I tried very hard to treat them equally and fairly.  That wasn’t always easy and of course they ultimately had to learn the lesson that life isn’t always fair.  But I did try to ensure they all got the same share of things and we didn’t favour one over another.  Hard to do as they got older of course and we were probably harder on our daughter being the eldest.  When they first start testing the boundaries and exerting their independence naturally you want to protect them and we were on a steep learning curve with her.

By the time the boys were at the same stages we were probably more relaxed and of course we were constantly reminded of this by our daughter.

With the grandchildren I try even harder not to favour one over another, especially as we don’t see as much of Noah and Miles as we do the others although when you’ve provided childcare for some of them naturally you build a closer attachment. 

I do have favourite moments/memories of course.  The first time I held Nathan for example – being premature he spent the first few weeks in the NICU so it was a long time before I got my first cuddle with him so that was precious.  Spontaneous moments like when Rory turned to me and said “I love you Nanny” recently and this picture




This was probably the first time that Ella had come to me wanting to be picked up and cuddled.  For someone who is such a Mummy’s girl that was definitely special particularly as Mummy was in the room at the time.

3 comments:

  1. I try not to do favorites with my three kids as well. Of course they all think that I do favor one or the other but there is 10 and 8 years between the two oldest and the youngest so of course things had to change a bit. Cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have kids until I married Joe. His boys were 16 and 20. I do remember asking my mom once why my younger sisters got away with things I didn't... she said she was tired. LOL We laughed about it. I enjoyed your post, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked hard not to show favoritism with my two kids, and since each one always said the other was my favorite, I figure that meant I was successful!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.